India - Malaria Tablets

Rose Violet

Hi

My self & hubby are travelling to India on 6th Sept. Have prescription for 40 Malarone which cost €176. Does anyone know if chemists in Northern Ireland will dispense on an ROI prescription - they are half the price up there!

Thanks for replies

I didnt think you need a prescription for malaria tablets, you can buy them over the counter, it could be worth shopping around.

which part of india are you going to? you may not need the tablets.

[broken link removed]

sorry can't help regarding prescription (but i would have thought they would have no problems).

Last edited:
Surely if you get a prescription issued in NI you would need to have a National Insurance number and pay NI? Precriptions are subsidised in the UK, so would have thought if you are coming from outside the UK you would have to pay full price?

You could go to a reputable western pharmacist / doctor in India and buy the malarone there, they will be a fraction of the price again.

I just got 27 malarone issued to me and it's depressing the price to pay, although think of it in longer terms and the price it will save you by (hopefully) keeping malaria at bay. Don't forget, if you miss a dose you will have to take it for 28 days after you get out of a malaria region instead of a week!

any of the uk online ones will do it for you, have fun in India its life changing... once you are past the first 3 days..

Thanks for all your replies - Dereko I have checked the link and it looks like I may not need them as the cities I am visiting are colour coded low risk - Delhi/Aggra/Jaipur/Jodphur/Udairpir. Thanks a mill for that

If you really wanted the Malarone you should register for the state prescription refund scheme. If I recall correctly, your total spend for that month would be capped @ €120

Malarone is not the only medication for Malaria. I won't get in to the details here due to posting guidelines. I would suggest that a conversation with a good Pharmacist would provide alternatives.

Good quality repellent with high concentration of Deet is a good preventative step.

There is a cinema in Jaipur, Raj Mandir, going there is interesting !

Hi

My self & hubby are travelling to India on 6th Sept. Have prescription for 40 Malarone which cost €176. Does anyone know if chemists in Northern Ireland will dispense on an ROI prescription - they are half the price up there!

Thanks for replies

To answer your question - Yes they will. I get my regular prescription from a ROI doctor and go up North to get my medicines. In stead of €105 / month I now pay £ 66 for 3 months. I will not make any statements what my view is on this :rolleyes:.

You just need to make sure that the doctor prescribes exactly what the pharmacist up North can supply. Not sure if Malarone is a brand or generic, but what happened me was the prescription had a brand on it and up North they didn't stock the brand, only generic, so they wouldn't supply to me.

Just call the pharmacist up North ( I go to sainsbury's) and ask them what the prescription should say.

For anyone else who is on repeat private prescriptions and think it is good idea to get their prescription filled up North another tip. Ask doctor to prescribe 90 days rather than 30 days - as they will not fill more than one instance of a repeat prescription and ask them to use generic names rather than brands.

It took me one or two trips to get it right, but I am saving €1000 a year now ( 80% of the ROI cost), or after tax credits €800. Well worth it

Back