Independent Financial Advisor.

Dman

Good morning,
I'm currently looking for a good independent Financial Adivsor who can give me some good solid advice and is not connected to a particular bank / insurancve company?
I've met one or two via the banks etc and understandably they just recommend products from their own companies so not really getting a full picture of my options.
I worked in Dublin city centre so ideally someone in the city.

I'm hoping someone knows one from personal experience who they don't mind recommending.

i'm sorry if i've posted this thread in the wrong area, but it seemd to be the best match.
Thanks

Get a good multi-agency intermdiary or authorised advisor. There are a few who contribute to AAM who might be worth checking (e.g. I would personally recommend Liam Ferguson www.ferga.com who is a multi-agency intermediary but please do check out others). You can get a full list of such advisors from IFSRA but you obviously want specific recommendations.

Well there is a surprise :)

A full list of authorised advisors and multi-agency intermediaries is available from The Financial Regulator at [broken link removed]

An AA him/her self, a very unusual suggestion especially considering OP wanted an advisor based in Dublin!

Yes - but I know that Liam visits clients in Dublin city centre if necessary. What is your point or are you just stirring (again?)?

My point is that the poster asked for a recommendation in Dublin.

Two posters recommended a MAI (not an authorised advisor) based in Meath...shome mishtake shurley!

I would recommend having a look at the following: Marsh (www.marsh.ie), Coyle Hamilton ([broken link removed]), Becketts ([broken link removed]) to name just three highly regarded authorised advisors that are based in Dublin.

My point is that the poster asked for a recommendation in Dublin.
Yes - and many intermediaries not based in Dublin will visit clients there if necessary.
Two posters recommended a MAI (not an authorised advisor)
The original poster did not specifically ask for AA recommendations.
based in Meath...shome mishtake shurley!
No - see above.
I would recommend having a look at the following: Marsh (www.marsh.ie), Coyle Hamilton ([broken link removed]), Becketts ([broken link removed]) to name just three highly regarded authorised advisors that are based in Dublin.
Yes - of course the original poster should check out all options.

I worked in Dublin city centre so ideally someone in the city.

Obviously the advisor will travel, but it is more convenient in terms of organising a meeting at short notice, rearranging meeting etc if the advisor is nearby.

A MAI (multi-agency intermediary) is, as the name would suggest, not independent.

I'm hoping someone knows one from personal experience who they don't mind recommending.

The OP was looking for a personal recommendation, not someone out of the phone book or from the financial regulator's list.

South, have you personally received advice from: Marsh, Coyle Hamilton, and Becketts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I have (at one stage or another) worked with or had dealings with the three of them.

To clarify a point above, I'm based in Ratoath, Co. Meath which is about 15 minutes drive from the M50 and yes, I do tend to be in the City Centre on business at least once a week.

If the original poster would prefer an advisor that's based in Dublin city, I can recommend Alan Morton of Moneywise, an Authorised Advisor firm with an associated Pensioneer Trustee firm. Alan's based in Dublin 2. I've had professional dealings with him over the years and have always found him to be knowledgeable, professional and ethical.

Liam D. Ferguson
www.ferga.com

People

Let’s lay this independent advice issue on the head shall we. We are really talking about choice since it is an impossibility for true independent advice to exist. The evidence is quite compelling from more developed advisory markets. A clients expectation is not for true independence rather that their suspicions of tied advice do not arise. It has been shown that providing a choice between 5-8 products etc is probably sufficient ..of course the relative merits of MAI or AA is a matter of whether or nor the advisor has independence to select and change the mix. In truth investors need to self educate and the best advisors know this and facilitate the process…both are after all on a learning curve….one just ahead of the other.

I would recommend Peter O'Reilly his office is in Naas but he lives in Dublin and has a lot of clients there. He's independent and has been in the business for a long time www.thefinancebusiness.ie
Personally I wouldn't go touch Marsh with a barge pole they might be fine up front but from my experience you never hear from them again once the transaction is done.

I would have to agree that the service from Marsh in recent times is not as good as it was a couple of years ago, but I had hear that was rectified with a number of high profile appointments?

I have also heard some good reports on Des O'Sullivan, he is a pensioneer trustee working with IPAC www.ipac.ie, they are based in Dublin.

I have only had professional dealings with him in his role as a professional trustee, however a number of his clients have spoken highly of the service provided.

I would recommend Peter O'Reilly his office is in Naas but he lives in Dublin and has a lot of clients there. He's independent and has been in the business for a long time www.thefinancebusiness.ie
Personally I wouldn't go touch Marsh with a barge pole they might be fine up front but from my experience you never hear from them again once the transaction is done.

Dear oh dear oh dear.

Rubbishing another business while heaping gushing praise upon

YOUR OWN EMPLOYER

Nice to have had you around, but so long!

Back