Inda sacking Richard Bruton

Obviously they would be Complainer. Why on earth would they want to go into government with the Taoiseach coming from the smaller party in the coalition? That would be madness. And if Labour honestly think that Gilmore has any chance of being Taoiseach after the next general election then they must be getting too much sun!

We get it. You are a labour supporter. I did look at their policy listing. Maybe I am stupid as you imply so maybe you can give me a link to a major policy document on health, justice or education published in the past three years.

Still no link received on this...

Obviously they would be Complainer. Why on earth would they want to go into government with the Taoiseach coming from the smaller party in the coalition? That would be madness.
Because being in Government means being in power. Being out of Government means having no power. FF have no value system - the only think they can offer their followers is the fruits of being in power. If they are out of power, that is political suicide for them.

Still no link received on this...
The point was answered. There are 50 substantial policy documents produced over the last three years, covering a broad range of areas. Some of the policies do cover the areas requested, i.e.

Guardianship of children - Health & Justice
Labour's priorities in Education - Education
Broad consensus now gathering behind health insurance - Health
Institutional child abuse bill - Health, Justice and education
Youth attitude - education
Safer towns and cities - Justice
Never again - Justice
Commuter belt living - Justice, Education
Cherishing Children - Justice, health, education

But hey, let's not let little facts around policy get in the way of a good slanging match.

FF would never in a million years go into a coalition where the smaller party's leader became Taoiseach. The most Gilmore could expect would be to be made Tanaiste.

FF would never in a million years go into a coalition where the smaller party's leader became Taoiseach. The most Gilmore could expect would be to be made Tanaiste.
You're right there - if the outcome is indeed that FF is the larger party. That is by no means certain or even likely at the moment.

You're not suggesting Labour are going to have more seats than FF? Even if FF lost 25 seats and Labour gained all 25, FF would still have more seats.

Complainer I think you're getting caught up in all these daft polls going on these days. Lets just put some facts on the board. The most Labour have ever won at a general election in the last 40 odd years is 33 seats. In the last election FF won 78 seats. Even the most diehard Labour fans would know they would be laughed out of the house if they suggested they would win more seats than FF in the next general election. Labour are on an upward trend, no doubt about that but I think you need to step back from the hype to see that they have a heck of a long way to go to challenge FF and FG in terms of numbers.

Because being in Government means being in power. Being out of Government means having no power. FF have no value system - the only think they can offer their followers is the fruits of being in power. If they are out of power, that is political suicide for them.

The point was answered. There are 50 substantial policy documents produced over the last three years, covering a broad range of areas. Some of the policies do cover the areas requested, i.e.

Guardianship of children - Health & Justice
Labour's priorities in Education - Education
Broad consensus now gathering behind health insurance - Health
Institutional child abuse bill - Health, Justice and education
Youth attitude - education
Safer towns and cities - Justice
Never again - Justice
Commuter belt living - Justice, Education
Cherishing Children - Justice, health, education

But hey, let's not let little facts around policy get in the way of a good slanging match.

Don't really want to get into this but...

Labour's priorities in Education is a 2 page glossy document that says nothing.
Broad consensus now gathering behind helath insurance is a speach by Eamonn Gilmore
Youth Attitude is not a policy document. It's a survey of young people. Labour don't even specify how they are going to deal with the findings of the survey
Safer towns and cities is laudable but where do they stand on sentencing, prison spaces, bail laws, anti social behaviour etc.
Never Again is not a justice policy. There are some decent ideas in there about whistleblowing and FOI but any document that mentions 'Galway Tent' Economics is a political statement rather than a policy document.
Cherishing Children is not an education, health of justice policy document. It's a light and fluffy piece. They criticise rising class sizes but don't make a committment to reduce them. Where do they stand on that? Where do they stand on third level funding?

FG and FF are just as bad in many ways but in my opinion are more likely to make tough policy announcements rather than take the populist view (in this current climate). They were just as woeful in previous years.

For example, where does Labour stand on water charges? Enda Kenny tried to avoid the issue and got hammered for it. Eamonn Gilmore has done exactly the same thing.

“Well that is something that we’re actually looking at, at the moment.” He added: “We have to look at what the European rules are on it; we have to look at the cost of metering.” (The Irish Times, 19th May 2010).

Don't really want to get into this but...

Labour's priorities in Education is a 2 page glossy document that says nothing.
Broad consensus now gathering behind helath insurance is a speach by Eamonn Gilmore
Youth Attitude is not a policy document. It's a survey of young people. Labour don't even specify how they are going to deal with the findings of the survey
Safer towns and cities is laudable but where do they stand on sentencing, prison spaces, bail laws, anti social behaviour etc.
Never Again is not a justice policy. There are some decent ideas in there about whistleblowing and FOI but any document that mentions 'Galway Tent' Economics is a political statement rather than a policy document.
Cherishing Children is not an education, health of justice policy document. It's a light and fluffy piece. They criticise rising class sizes but don't make a committment to reduce them. Where do they stand on that? Where do they stand on third level funding?

Like most parties, there is good and bad in all these publications. I don't make claims of infallibility for Labour. Great to see that we've moved on from your earlier post of 'They say nothing' to 'I don't like what Labour says'.

Like most parties, there is good and bad in all these publications. I don't make claims of infallibility for Labour. Great to see that we've moved on from your earlier post of 'They say nothing' to 'I don't like what Labour says'.

For me Sunny's post appeared to be an expansion of the many ways in which labour has sat on the fence and said nothing rather than any criticism of their (non-existant) policies which you seem to have inexplicably taken from the post.

I didn't say I didn't like what Labour say. How could I not like making public places safer for women and cherishing children. I just don't know where they stand on the issues that matter to me.
I stand my assertion that Eamonn Gilmore and Labour are playing populist politics and taking the easy road by criticising Government policies but being vague on their own ideas. I admired him for handling John O' Donaghue the way he did but that was an easy vote getter. His reluctance to committ on items like water charges is more telling in my opinion.

I agree with this. If FF can stay in Government they will. They'd go into coalition with anyone.

I also agree with those posters who say FF will have more seats than Labour - maybe only by 10 seats or so, but still more. I think FG will be slightly dissappointed - will gain some seats, but Kenny's presence will ensure that a lot of the floating/protest vote will go to independents and others rather than FG. Next election will be a good time to be an independent candidate.

The result is going to be Labour auctioning their support to the highest bidder (FF or FG).

Looking further into the future, as I've said before, elections will be between FG & Labour, with FF as the third party. I can see a situation whereby FF promises the earth to Labour, goes into coalition with them. Coalition doesnt go full term, FF remain unpopular - Labour forces another election (probably due to disagreement on some social or union issue) and FF lose further seats.

FF may promise the earth to Labour in order to stay in power but that would not include offering a smaller party the Taoiseach's job as you stated might happen earlier.

I have to admit I admired Kenny yesterday when he ruled out going in to government with SF. And to do it while in the North was a nice touch. For that I give him credit.

I wonder will FF and Labour show the same resolve? I doubt FF will get the opportunity to make up a government but I wonder about Labour. Afterall, Labour and Sinn Fein come from the same stock.

FF may promise the earth to Labour in order to stay in power but that would not include offering a smaller party the Taoiseach's job as you stated might happen earlier.

I never said that this might happen, that Gilmore would be Taoiseach as leader of the smaller party. As I pointed out to you earlier, Gilmore will be Taoiseach if Labour are the largest party, i.e. if the results of the Irish Times poll hold good until the election.

I wonder will FF and Labour show the same resolve? I doubt FF will get the opportunity to make up a government but I wonder about Labour. Afterall, Labour and Sinn Fein come from the same stock.
Seems unlikely that Labour and SF would have the numbers, even with a few stray independents thrown into the mix. Certainly there is nothing in it for Labour now to create a 'left alliance' with SF/SP/SWP. This would just lose votes for Labour on the left.

The result is going to be Labour auctioning their support to the highest bidder (FF or FG).

Not true. The Irish Times poll blows away the idea that Labour will be the 3rd party, who's best hope is to be a junior coalition partner. This could go any direction, including the direction of a Labour-led coalition.

If Labour does end up as a junior partner, Gilmore has already ruled out him going into Government with FF. In my opinion, it is a mistake to rule this out, purely from a negotiations point of view. It puts him in a weak position to negotiate with FG.

For me Sunny's post appeared to be an expansion of the many ways in which labour has sat on the fence and said nothing rather than any criticism of their (non-existant) policies which you seem to have inexplicably taken from the post.

I didn't say I didn't like what Labour say. How could I not like making public places safer for women and cherishing children. I just don't know where they stand on the issues that matter to me.
I stand my assertion that Eamonn Gilmore and Labour are playing populist politics and taking the easy road by criticising Government policies but being vague on their own ideas. I admired him for handling John O' Donaghue the way he did but that was an easy vote getter. His reluctance to committ on items like water charges is more telling in my opinion.
I really don't think that is a fair assessment. Labour have a solid track record of giving clear and alternative options. They were the only party to oppose and question the bank guarantee, and the Honahan report backs up the Labour concerns in this area in relation to guaranteeing the bond holders. They have put alternative policies out in Health - Universal Health Insurance has been Labour policy since 2002, and FG jumped on that bandwagon recently. They have clear alternative policies in Education, to keep universal access to all levels of education. The policies are all there.

To highlight 'water charges' as a substantive issue is just nitpicking. Given the current mess that we are in, really, who cares about water charges.

I never said that this might happen, that Gilmore would be Taoiseach as leader of the smaller party. As I pointed out to you earlier, Gilmore will be Taoiseach if Labour are the largest party, i.e. if the results of the Irish Times poll hold good until the election.
Dream on Complainer, that poll was flawed and surely you know it is nothing but a pipe dream that Labour could even come close to being the largest party!

Not true. The Irish Times poll blows away the idea that Labour will be the 3rd party, who's best hope is to be a junior coalition partner. This could go any direction, including the direction of a Labour-led coalition.
Nonsense, Labour are still and will remain the 3rd party for the foreseeable future. You don't go from 21 seats to 60+ seats just because you have a popular leader! You're completely blinkered by meaningless polls Complainer.

I really don't think that is a fair assessment. Labour have a solid track record of giving clear and alternative options. They were the only party to oppose and question the bank guarantee, and the Honahan report backs up the Labour concerns in this area in relation to guaranteeing the bond holders. They have put alternative policies out in Health - Universal Health Insurance has been Labour policy since 2002, and FG jumped on that bandwagon recently. They have clear alternative policies in Education, to keep universal access to all levels of education. The policies are all there.

To highlight 'water charges' as a substantive issue is just nitpicking. Given the current mess that we are in, really, who cares about water charges.

But items like water charges, property taxes etc are substantive issues in the area of taxation policy.
I enjoy all the fire and brimstonen that comes out of Labour everytime a difficult decision is made but I expect more substantive policy from the the most popular party in the Country.
I can't agree with your analysis of Honahan's report. Labour was against ANY Guarantee. Honahan said an extensive guarantee was necessary but there were flaws. What was Labour's alternative suggestion?
I am all for free third level education but how do Labour intend to pay for it. I don't see how any party can rule out any sort of money saving idea in the current climate. Trying to pretend that tough decisions can be avoided is populist politics. I can't remember any policy that Labour announced that ran the chance of alienating any section of the voting public. At least FG came out with pay freeze for public sector workers whether they were right or wrong.
I will give you the Universal Health Insurance Idea! Interesting idea but I haven't heard too much detail from either FG or Labour.

Back