increasing gas central heating efficiency

kkmaan

hello there,
recently changed central heating from oil to gas. the boiler house for the oil was outside at theback corner of the house. the new gas boiler is now inside the house.
I recently noticed that the pipes that went to the oil burner outside were just blanked off. these pipes run from the boiler house accross the garden along the entire length of the house in into the house through the opposite back corner. this is hardly efficient is it? would i be wasting heat through all that pipework? i was thinking of just blanking these pipes where they enter the house and using these pipes to drain down the system, as there is no where else to drain it down. would this increase efficency?
any advice greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

I think thats a good idea, you could also think about putting in a system cleaner about a week before then drain down, flush out the chemical and add a inhibitor, it will only cost you the time to do it and the price of the chemicals, Gary.

im sure its professional, just wondering if anyone else had any experience of this. in all fairness, would i be right in saying that the design is very poor or is it common practise to run pipes this far outside a house?

Once the pipes are blanked at the boiler house, they will stop cirulating hot water. You will however lose heat through heat creep so It is a good idea to blank them as you suggested.

you lost much more heat when that line was connected to the old boiler. Try and keep pipe runs outside to a minimum. Moving the boiler inside has solved this problem for you.

I would also 2nd or (3rd) Gary's suggestion. Go to your local pluming supplier and get a bottle of cleanser and a bottle of inhibitor. They may cost you approx €50 but is money well spent. the cleanser is added and left in the sysrem for about and week, then flushed. Read instructions carefully, they are very easy to use.

Good luck.

Back