Increase pension contribution??

Familyman77

Each year I put x% of performance bonus into a pension fund. I had initially thought that this year with such poor performance in the pension I would put less in but should it be the opposite and put more to " buy cheap and get bigger return when it bounces back "

Instead of decreasing my pension lump sum contribution this year should I still keep it the same or even actually increase it as investment stocks are cheaper

I have increased my contributions as much as possible. Something you want more of is on sale. At the very least leave it the same, decreasing it is completely illogical.

I have increased my contributions as much as possible. Something you want more of is on sale. At the very least leave it the same, decreasing it is completely illogical.
That's a good analogy, I had short sightedly looked at it as buying a losing asset as opposed to a product on sale. I'd still have 20 years growth yet aswell

Timing the market is a mug's game (not a @MugsGame!).
All things being equal (e.g. no other more pressing uses for your money such as high cost debts etc.) you should maximise your pension contributions towards/up to your age related pension tax relief limit and stick with that regular contribution amount regardless of market fluctuations.
Trying to vary it in response to normal market fluctuations is a recipe for lower returns over the long term.

Timing the market is a mug's game (not a @MugsGame!).
I was going to say the same thing, but this isn’t the typical case where somebody is going to buy shares and is trying to choose the best time to do it, likely missing out on gains as they dither. Familyman77 isn’t really debating when to invest, he’s debating if he should invest a particular sum at all. It’s kinda similar to using your ARF in later life, it might make sense to try to draw a little less in the years the markets are down.

I was going to say the same thing, but this isn’t the typical case where somebody is going to buy shares and is trying to choose the best time to do it, likely missing out on gains as they dither. Familyman77 isn’t really debating when to invest, he’s debating if he should invest a particular sum at all.
No, they're clearly trying to time the market.
Each year I put x% of performance bonus into a pension fund. I had initially thought that this year with such poor performance in the pension I would put less in but should it be the opposite and put more to " buy cheap and get bigger return when it bounces back "

No, they're clearly trying to time the market.
Clubman, I don't look at the market that way at all. I have a managed fund and at year end I look to see what I want to take from bonus for overpaying mortgage, holidays etc and the rest I just hand over to the fund, this percentage changes depending on if I have any plans for the year or not . I was thinking this year of less to pension and more to mortgage. I put the question up to enquire / seek advice about the logic of my thought process

You never mentioned a mortgage until now. That puts a slightly different angle on it. This is the problem with people posting partial info or specific finance questions isolated from their wider/overall situation.

I agree with Zenith, @Familyman77

Keep your pension contributions strong as units are on sale compared to in the last few years.

You never mentioned a mortgage until now. That puts a slightly different angle on it. This is the problem with people posting partial info or specific finance questions isolated from their wider/overall situation.
Point taken ,the full picture avoids assumptions in responses

For a better overall view, aged 45, mortgage remaining is €70k ( 700per month ) on a home valued at €380k, pension pot currently stands at €300k ( zurich prisma 5 ) . Expected lump sum to use in the region of €25k

For a better overall view, aged 45, mortgage remaining is €70k ( 700per month ) on a home valued at €380k, pension pot currently stands at €300k ( zurich prisma 5 ) . Expected lump sum to use in the region of €25k
It would be better to do a Money Makeover post using the template in that section.

Back