Increase in ECB Interest Rates

S

SteelBlue05

Hi,

Anyone care to speculate by how much the ECB will increase interest rates by?

S

Why ask any questions on this forum? Surly this forum is about giving factual responses, opinions, and thoughts?

Speculation not allowed on askaboutmoney.com?

Speculation is, by definition, not factual. I never said that people could not discuss this matter. I merely asked why you or anybody else would see any point in speculating about future interest rate performance.

Didnt say it was. Hey you dont have to respond to the post if you dont want to give your opinion on what the increase may be.

I thought maybe someone with some knowledge it this may have a good idea on the increase.

Why do I have to justify posting a question?

.25 seems likely, .5 would probably be excessive given the inflation fighting stance.

(as for why, well sometimes it's interesting to try and second-guess these things to try and understand better the hows and whys of whats going on, I wouldn't be putting any money on it but I enjoy the game)

SteelBlue05 said:
Didnt say it was. Hey you dont have to respond to the post if you dont want to give your opinion on what the increase may be.

I thought maybe someone with some knowledge it this may have a good idea on the increase.

You don't - you just ignore the posts that don't interest you or the ones you can't be bothered replying to!

SteelBlue05 said:
Didnt say it was.
You implied that it was:

Surly this forum is about giving factual responses ...

Speculation not allowed on askaboutmoney.com?

Knowledge of predicting the future? Don't think so.

As above - you don't.

demoivre said:
To try and profit from it.
How exactly? Timing the market and attempting to second guess the financial institutions and the fixed rates that they set is a mug's game.

Clubman, I'm not interested in your usual reponse of dissecting people posts, the post is a simply question. You're just boring me now with this.

SteelBlue05 said:
Hi,

S
OK - then. Pick a number...

1%, 0.5%, 10%, -4% etc.

I can give you a few more if you want.

ClubMan said:
OK - then. Pick a number...

1%, 0.5%, 10%, -4% etc.

I can give you a few more if you want.

I was looking for an informed guess, not a clowns guess. I am sure based on historical changes that 10% is unlikely and that maybe 0.25% is likely based on the what the ECB is trying to do. Come on, do I have to do all the work for you. I know you are more intelligent than that.

SteelBlue05 said:
I was looking for an informed guess, not a clowns guess. I am sure based on historical changes that 10% is unlikely and that maybe 0.25% is likely based on the what the ECB is trying to do. Come on, do I have to do all the work for you. I know you are more intelligent than that.
You never specified any timeframe.

Yours faithfully
Coco.

SteelBlue05 said:
Over 6 months, a year, 5 years, 10 years, a century etc.? Even a clown would know that this information is pertinent to the question. :rolleyes:

Are you like this in real life ClubMan or just when you are online?:confused:

ClubMan said:
This is real life isn't it?

I think its easy to be an annoying twit when hiding behind an annoymous username, I just wondered if you are like this to people you meet at work, your neighbours, etc?

Why do we expect the ECB to raise rates ? Eurozone economic growth is still below 2% and is only expected to rise above 2% next year.

My own personal opinion is that the ECB will increase by 0.25% in or around June assuming growth projections are correct and possibly by another 0.25% in September / October time.

However, there is a case to be made for the ECB to decrease the rates even further, and ignore the short term risk of an increase in inflation, in order to stimulate the Euro economies (ie like Greenspan and the Fed did over the last three years in the states)

With regard to speculation over changes in the ECB rates - I think it is worthwhile to discuss the possibilities / probabilities of short term changes in interest rates as this can have an impact on peoples investment decisions - and by discussing it, those of us who aren't experts, can increase our knowlegde of the way these things work.

EDIT - post crossed with the last four above - if I had known that this discussion would descend into childish fighting I wouldn't have bothered posting!!! :mad:

Back