Incorrectly used sayings and phrases (malapropisims and related)

Re: Incorrectly used sayings and phrases

There is a spokesman for the HSE who constantly talks about a medical LABRATTY instead of Laboratory! Some one should tell him to refer to the place of work of medical scientists as simply "the lab".

Maybe that guy had had a "lo-bottleme" ( as I overheard recently )

One that drives me mad is a phrase that's used by people up the midlands and the south east. It's "Look it." Charlie McCreevy used it a lot.

What are they trying to say when they use that phrase at the start of a sentence? "Look at it..............?"

My friend suggested that I take anti-hysterectomy tablets for my hayfever! How I laughed!!

One that drives me mad is a phrase that's used by people up the midlands and the south east. It's "Look it." Charlie McCreevy used it a lot.

What are they trying to say when they use that phrase at the start of a sentence? "Look at it..............?"

Jo on Fair City uses it all the time it drives me nuts, like. :D

'It's' instead of 'its', and 'its' spelt like 'it's', 'theirs' instead of 'there's', 'your' instead of 'you're', and so on. 'Can not' instead of 'cannot'. All those plurals spelt with an 'apostrophe s' (plural's), and the Saxon genitives spelt like plurals ('childrens books', 'mens shoes', etc) - and some of these on the main newspapers! AAAARRRRGHHH!!!

(Ok, time for my tablets...)

Is funny but you go years without hearing a good malapropism and then today I heard two! (both relating to Kerry)

The first was on the news at 1:00 on RTE when Dr. Martin Mansergh, T.D., Minister of State at the Department of Finance with responsibility for the Office of Public Works stated that Skellig Micheal is designated a world heritage web site.

The second was on Radio Kerry when welcoming home the Kerry team Weeshie Fogarty stated that manager Jack O'Connor would go down in the annuals of Kerry football. Mind you it is a kind of annual event in Kerry!

I hate the use of the word done instead of did. IMHO mainly Dubs and it used to be children but so many adults are using it now also. It sounds absolutely dreadful. :(

Back