Incompetent builder

L

LaineyJ

I have bought a house in an estate from a builder and the house sale was due to close in January and was delayed - nothing unusual there. Closing date was given for mid July so I got my life cover, house ins, esb, gas etc set up and drew down the mortgage.

Found out on closing date that builder had forgotten to get the department of the environment structure and stamp duty cert so my solicitor would not let me close.

Still paying the mortgage and I hassled the DOE so much that they finally sent out the inspector today. The house FAILED the inspection royally. Inspectors said there is a lot to be done and it could take them months..... Its not my fault. Im ready to close. The builder admitted he forgot to get the cert. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Do I have any come back? Bear in mind Im paying the mortgage since July and I dont own the house. Funds are sitting in the solicitors account pending house closing. If I send the money back to the bank then it could take ages to draw the money again.

Advice requested please

Talk to your solicitor, he might be able to give you a clear answer to your query. In my point of view-based on your story- you have a mutual agreement with your builder. If he fails to deliver then he's responsible for losses. At least to the point of the costs already occured-unless otherwises agreed on.

Back