Income while on maternity leave

Tom189

My wife is self employed and pregnant. She plans to take 6 months maternity leave and not work at all during this time, so she will be entitled to the state benefit, as she has the relevant prsi contributions. Recently she finished a job for a client. The client was had asked could they pay for the job on a monthly basis over the next year to which my wife agreed. So money for this job will be received into my wife's bank account while she is on maternity leave. Will this mean that her entitlement to maternity benefit will be lost, as she is earning money, even though she is not working?

My wife is self employed and pregnant. She plans to take 6 months maternity leave and not work at all during this time, so she will be entitled to the state benefit, as she has the relevant prsi contributions. Recently she finished a job for a client. The client was had asked could they pay for the job on a monthly basis over the next year to which my wife agreed. So money for this job will be received into my wife's bank account while she is on maternity leave. Will this mean that her entitlement to maternity benefit will be lost, as she is earning money, even though she is not working?

I think as long as she's not working she's ok. The income should not matter. Take for example a case where someone self-employed has to take someone on to run a business while they are on maternity leave. The busines is earning money, the self-empoyed business owner is not working but they are out of pocket as they need to pay someone else to keep things going. Here's the text from the Citizens Info site:

You will be disqualified (or banned) from receiving Maternity Benefit if during the time for which your Benefit is payable you engage in any employement or work other than domestic activities in your own home.

Earning is not working. This is along the lines of what my wife did when she was in the same boat. She has paid her PRSI - she is entitled to the benefit.

Back