Income Tax changes

Brendan Burgess

Founder
Firstly, I am increasing the Standard Rate Cut Off Point by €3,200 to €40,000, with proportionate increases for married couples and civil partners.
Secondly, I am also increasing the main tax credits (Personal, Employee and Earned Income Credit) by €75.
I am also increasing the Home Carer Tax Credit by €100, to support stay at home parents.

Home carers by 100

Second USC from 21,00 22920 in line with increase in minimum wage

Medical card holders earning <€60k will pay lower rate of USC - extended for a year

No third rate of Income Tax. But could be done by January 2024 so will engage with Revenue.

Last edited:

Universal Social Charge​

Further, I am increasing the second USC rate band (2 per cent rate) from €21,295 to €22,920 in line with the 80 cent per hour increase in the national minimum wage recently agreed by this government. The increase in the USC band will ensure that full-time workers on the minimum wage will remain outside the top rates of USC, while also giving a modest benefit to all workers whose income is above that amount.
In addition, a concession applies to those who have a medical card and earn less than €60,000 per year, such that those individuals pay a reduced rate of USC. Given the broader challenges facing people this year, I confirm the extension of this concession for a further year.

Income Tax - Third Rate​

The recent report of the Tax Strategy Group (TSG) examined the impact of introducing an intermediate or third rate of income tax.
Further analysis of the TSG report would give options to Government on additional policy levers in future budgets to make our income tax system more balanced and effective.
It is agreed that this analysis will commence immediately and conclude prior to the publication of next year’s Summer Economic Statement and will take into consideration the overall macroeconomic and fiscal context. This analysis will assist government in arriving at an informed decision in a timely manner.
Were the government to opt for the introduction of a third rate of income tax, it would require considerable change to the systems in both the Revenue Commissioners and payroll providers; changes that will need significant lead-time to implement. We are advised that this could be done for January 2024.
As a result, my department will engage with the Revenue Commissioners on the necessary preparatory work, in advance of a policy decision being made by Government.
The government is also committed to developing a medium-term roadmap for personal tax reform, taking account of the recent Report of the Commission on Taxation and Welfare, and will consider a range of measures across income tax, USC and PRSI together with other related personal taxation issues.

Its almost always January 1st for PAYE & USC changes, however, there is a new Rent credit of €500 which the minister said, can be claimed for the 2022 tax year.

Never saw broadcast, is this with immediate effect, or from January? Thanks.
Usually is but people on social welfare are getting a bonus at the end of october. Why should working people have to wait until January, our bills and expenses are rising too.

Usually is but people on social welfare are getting a bonus at the end of october. Why should working people have to wait until January, our bills and expenses are rising too.
Fully agree. I was hoping these changes would have immediate effect.

Companies and revenue need time to adjust systems, whereas payouts and the specific sum can be edited directly.

Pretty obvious really,

it’s also an annual process so the same every year, - People find anything to have a moan about

A single person on €20000 per year will be worse off after the changes with the effective tax rate going from 6.4% 8.3%.
According to the budget document.

I wonder is that a mistake as in every other wage bracket the effective rate decreases.

A single person on €20000 per year will be worse off after the changes with the effective tax rate going from 6.4% 8.3%.
According to the budget document.

I wonder is that a mistake as in every other wage bracket the effective rate decreases.
Not a mistake, but an adjusted amount, as they increase that 20k, up to minimum wage maximum, so its adding on 1,524, to the original 20k to show the impact. So the resultant 8.3 % is based on 21,154, rather than 20,000.

Its on page 24 of this doc:

Sunmary:

SRCO: up 3,200 = tax saving of €640
Credits: up €75 each= tax saving of €150
USC, 2% band up 1625= USC saving of €32.50

Combined Total saving for most PAYE workers on >40k of €822.50
Not to quibble about an excellent summary but the total savings is a little bit more than this. The USC savings are at 2.5% (paying at 2% rather 4.5%). That's a whole extra €8.12 a year.... Might just be enough for a pint come January.

Well spotted, it all adds up ! One might be able to get 4 cans of beer for that !

Companies and revenue need time to adjust systems, whereas payouts and the specific sum can be edited directly.

Pretty obvious really,

it’s also an annual process so the same every year, - People find anything to have a moan about
We know all that, but when you see the welfare increases coming in pretty quickly and then the double bonus welfare payments all happening before 2023 and taxpayers have to wait until end of January 2023 to see any tax benefits in their wages.
It's also worth noting that pensioners as argued on other posts are probably better off than ever yet they still benefit considerably from these pension bonuses all happening this year.

The welfare payments should have been delayed until the end of November at least . It's the people on mid to low wages that compare their wages to welfare payments and have a hard time trying to justify driving to work every day especially when you have ngos trying to tax and demonise people that need to drive to work

We know all that, but when you see the welfare increases coming in pretty quickly and then the double bonus welfare payments all happening before 2023 and taxpayers have to wait until end of January 2023 to see any tax benefits in their wages.
It's also worth noting that pensioners as argued on other posts are probably better off than ever yet they still benefit considerably from these pension bonuses all happening this year.

The welfare payments should have been delayed until the end of November at least . It's the people on mid to low wages that compare their wages to welfare payments and have a hard time trying to justify driving to work every day especially when you have ngos trying to tax and demonise people that need to drive to work
While I agree with the sentiment of your post people who receive welfare pay taxes too. In fact most welfare recipients work and pay income tax.
It's just not possible for employers to change tax bands etc mid year.

Back