Income protection - Public Sector

Gordon Gekko

Am I right in saying that public servants are covered for six months full pay and then six months half pay in the case of a critical illness?

What do they typically do with regard to income protection?

Many thanks.

Yes. What they do in regards to IP is up to them. Some unions have approved providers who can offer public servants Income Continuance Protection.

Hi Gordon, You're asking a loaded question there regarding public servants and sick leave. Most people in the PS will give you an incorrect answer and will even supply an internet site regarding the conditions of sick leave in the PS. When this sick leave situation was being negotiated, the unions left down their members bigtime so much so that their membership generally haven't a clue of what was really negotiated. Ask any PS guy who is critically ill who has found himself on half pay after 93 days over a rolling year* (incl Saturdays and Sundays) while on sick leave. Many find that on 183rd day (over a 4 year rolling period*) pay is stopped.

The easy answer to your question is Yes. But, what is "critical illness" as outlined in the PS terms and conditions? It is not critical illness you and I know it. Many cancers and heart conditions are not included in the PS version of "critical illness." Furthermore, somebody with what they think is "critical" must apply per written form for the illness to be diagnosed as critical.

. . . and yes more and more PS people have opted and continue to opt for income protection.

*To avoid any confusion please note rolling years are different from calendar years (another aspect that is usually missed by many).

Last edited:
Hi Leper

I'm a little confused by all of that.

Being prudent, what sort of cover should someone in the public sector take out?

This thread isn't about "loaded questions" or public sector bashing. I have a family member who wants to ensure that she receives an income if she can't work.

Whatever cover she takes out will of course take into account and work with her paid sick leave arrangements.

She should check with the union to see what is available for her. That's how I joined my plan.

I took an Income Continuance plan out with a critical illness policy attached.

I had to avail of both unfortunately, but I was very glad of it.

As I understand it, public servants can get 3 months full pay and 3 months half pay for a non critical illness, with 6 months of both for critical illness.

So am I right in saying that if I go to (say) Zurich Life, they'll be well versed in the public sector issue and have a "product" that its the bill.

Cornmarket talk about 2% of salary per year which sounds pricey to me.

No, no, Gordon, I am not referring to any PS bashing whatsoever. Forget that!

Your question is loaded inasmuch as the vast majority of Public Servants have no idea of what the unions signed up to. I will go as far as to say that not even the unions were/are aware of what they signed up to. I spoke with representatives of the unions before negotiation of the sick leave situations were completed and to be honest it was like talking to the wall. Have no doubt, the unions turned on their members and made things much worse. Furthermore, the unions went on their roadshow trying to convince the membership that the unions had the staff interests at heart. Total lies, to say the least. I should point out I resigned my membership from IMPACT as a result.

More and more Public Servants have taken out private loss of income policies since.

As I understand it, public servants can get 3 months full pay and 3 months half pay for a non critical illness, with 6 months of both for critical illness.

So am I right in saying that if I go to (say) Zurich Life, they'll be well versed in the public sector issue and have a "product" that its the bill.

Yes.

Yes, they will know that a paid sick leave scheme is in operation and they will operate in tandem with that scheme. Is it 2%?

Does that include a critical illness policy, is this net or gross do you know (I can't remember my own scheme) and as far as I know there tax relief on the premiums (not the specific illness one however).

Back