Other Income Protection Choice

Commercial

I am currently in the process of getting income protection as I believe that it is a good insurance product. However, I am unsure as to which company to go with. New Ireland or Friends First. Both seem, however Friends First are more established but more expensive.
Can anyone else help me on this or is there any difference at all?

Why do you believe its a good insurance product? Usually the odds of ever needing to claim are quite small. Especially if your employer has a sick pay scheme.

The odds of the statistical average person dying in the next 25 - 30 years are even smaller, but that doesn't make life assurance a bad product.

There are more people who have no claims on their house insurance than there are those who claim. That doesn't mean that house insurance is a bad product.

But if you are in the unfortunate sutuation that you have to claim on Income Protection at, say, €1,000 per week at age 35, with no hope of returning to work, your claim could be well in excess of €2 million. Although you'd be in the unfortunate minority, you'd be very glad you had it.

Everyone hopes they'll never need to claim on their insurance.

I believe Income Protection is a very important form of cover and as well as arranging it for clients, I've had it myself for years, despite being thankfully fit and healthy.

Most employer sick-pay schemes tend to coninue income for a maximum of twelve months; many have no sick-pay at all. Only a minority of employers have Income Protection cover for their staff. So even if your employer is one of the more generous and will pay for twelve months, you can still obtain Income Protection to start paying after 12 months; such cover is quite inexpensive.

I am currently in the process of getting income protection as I believe that it is a good insurance product. However, I am unsure as to which company to go with. New Ireland or Friends First. Both seem, however Friends First are more established but more expensive.
Can anyone else help me on this or is there any difference at all?

Definition of disability is slightly different for some occupations bwteen the two companies mentioned. What's your occupation?

See also [broken link removed]

Back