Income Assessment for OAP and Medical Card

IsThisOnFree

Hi All

My Mum is currently living on her own and in receipt of non-contributory old age pension and a medical card. I'm considering moving in with her (she currently lives alone) and I'm wondering how my income will impact these two items.

I've read through the guidelines for both, and both indicate that the income of a spouse/partner would be taken into account - but there's no mention of the income of a son/daughter, or any other blood relative. Does anybody have any experience of this scenario, and would you know whether my income would be taken into account ? If so, what percentage of my income would be used in the assessment ?

I know that other "perks" that come with her OAP such as LAA, Free TV License etc, will obviously be gone. But my Mum is quite independent and she worries about how my moving in might impact her

Thanks in advance

I think you need to contact the Citizens Information people, by phone or in person, but check their excellent and detailled web pages first. And then ask a CWO ....

Community Welfare Officer but they have a new name now I think. Either way I wouldn't bother with them just ask Citizens Info they will know the answer.

I thought it must be something Welfare Officer alright but the C was throwing me :) Thanks for that, I'll speak with Citizens Advice

If she is over 70 she can keep her TV and electricity allowance but will loose her LAA and fuel Allowance.
Many non-contributory pensioners are living with their employed sons or daughters and grandchildren and retaining their non-con pensions. Perhaps it's best to double check!

Community Welfare Officer but they have a new name now I think. Either way I wouldn't bother with them just ask Citizens Info they will know the answer.
OK but it will have to go through the CWO or equivalent at some stage and best to have them on side, AFTER the Citizens Advice folk of course.

If she is over 70 she can keep her TV and electricity allowance ...
Aaah, interesting ... I've planning to move in the end of April/beginning of May ... she'll be 70 in June :) Although I have a TV license myself until the end of May anyway
OK but it will have to go through the CWO or equivalent at some stage and best to have them on side ...
Yup, I know. Problem is my Mum frets over small details soooo much .... so I'm really just trying to do some "fact finding" right now just to calm her down a bit :)

Thanks again for all the replies, much appreciated.

I
Aaah, interesting ... I've planning to move in the end of April/beginning of May ... she'll be 70 in June :) Although I have a TV license myself until the end of May anyway
Yup, I know. Problem is my Mum frets over small details soooo much .... so I'm really just trying to do some "fact finding" right now just to calm her down a bit :)

Thanks again for all the replies, much appreciated.
I understand. I am over 70 and these things matter more at this age..Glad she has you to sort it out. I tend to find out the facts from CI then tackle the CWO. After my experiences re rent allowance ( see other thread) I trust no one!

OK but it will have to go through the CWO or equivalent at some stage and best to have them on side, AFTER the Citizens Advice folk of course.

Community Welfare Officers (now DSP Designated Persons) have no role in assessments for DSP pensions, and no longer have a role in assessments for Medical Cards.

Back