Health Insurance Include private hospitals in health cover?

Katepension

Hello folks,

I'm looking for some advice please. Looking at taking out health insurance for the first time (age 40, no health concerns to-date) I am just wondering what are the benefits of including private hospital cover vs health cover for just public hospitals? Would it be a difference in waiting lists?

I've looked at Laya Everyday Health Plus. I have also looked at a plan that includes private hospital cover - VHI one plan 500. Both would be a similar fee.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Yes, there would more than likely be a difference in the waiting time and some consultants may not have access to the beds in public hospitals. If you needed some type of non urgent treatment or investigation it would be more accessible in a private hospital. Dermot Goode (of Total Health Cover) has recommended VHI PMI 3613 and PMI 3513 as good mid level corporate plans in a number of radio and newspaper interviews recently. He gives very helpful advice in the media every year around this time. I am on PMI 0710 which has very similar cover to those two and is a bit cheaper.

Yes, there would more than likely be a difference in the waiting time and some consultants may not have access to the beds in public hospitals. If you needed some type of non urgent treatment or investigation it would be more accessible in a private hospital. Dermot Goode (of Total Health Cover) has recommended VHI PMI 3613 and PMI 3513 as good mid level corporate plans in a number of radio and newspaper interviews recently. He gives very helpful advice in the media every year around this time. I am on PMI 0710 which has very similar cover to those two and is a bit cheaper.
Thank you for the reply and the advice. That's interesting to see how type of cover can impact on treatment and availablity of services. I will research those VHI plans you mentioned.

Back