Inchicore

ciaran1

Hi,

I am looking at 2 houses- one on Connolly Avenue and one on Goldenbridge avenue in Inchicore. Both are really nice-looking houses, but have some concerns around anti-social behaviour along the canal (particularly for the Connolly Avenue one -2 mins from canal). I like the Bulfin Gardens area generally but have the impression that the Kilmainham/SCR end is more settled? Any thoughts much appreciated.

I used to live near there and walked/cycled through there a good few times.
Generally speaking the Bulfin estate is somewhere that I would recommend. It's quite 'settled' - the majority of the houses would be family owned and are well maintained. There are a few rental properties but a lot less than in housing estates that were built in the Celtic Tiger. A good few of the houses that were sold in the last 5/10 years have been renovated to a high standard which 'bought the area along' further.
Overall it's one of the nicest areas in the Inchicore/Ballyfermot/Drimnagh areas.

You have some grounds for being concerned about the canal and anti social behaviour.
I have walked there a few times and often see groups of teenagers (and slightly older) hanging around drinking cans, especially near the bridges.
I have never had bother with them but they can be intimidating. They usually stick to the canal area and don't venture too far from there.
They wouldn't bother me nor stop me from buying there - if all other boxes were ticked. But they do exist and might be a factor in your decision.

Hi Ciaran,

If you run the search option both on Google and this forum you may find some previous threads on Inchicore. www.boards.ie may have something also.

Best of luck with the house hunting.

I agree with Macstuff about Bulfin. I live fairly close to there and have not seen any problems. I also know some people who live on the Kilmainham end of Emmet Rd and it too seems like a nice area. I dont know much about the other end of Inchicore.

I have a place for a number of years off tyrconnell road up towards the luas end. I have never had a problem there although 1 person got shot on the road a few years back. This was an exception rather than the rule. If you don't live in the underworld you are unlikely to be affected by it, that's my experience in any case

I've lived on goldenbridge avenue for the last 12 years. It's very settled as other posters have said. A mix of retired people, families and a few rentals, but I've never had any problems with noise or anti-social carry on.

I got broken into once by a 50 year old junkie, but he was a serial breaker inner around south dublin so I was just unlucky he pickedy house on that day.

The big plus for me is how quiet the area is yet you can walk into town in a half hour.

The last of the st michaels tower blocks was knocked a few weeks ago. It was a bit of an eyesore so can only improve the area.

Thanks all, appreciate it. There were about 5000 people at viewings for both so seems a very popular area- high-ball offers in already on both also.

Back