Incentivised Early Retirement Scheme - Uptake

Does anyone know if the incentivised retirement scheme will be rolled out again in 2010? I think it was to be decided after budget 2010?

Well, the wording in the Civil Service circular 12/2009 is " it will be reviewed in the context of Budget 2010". Make of that what you will. We could hear something next week or it could be anytime in the coming year. It will depend on how the numbers pan out. Easy enough to guage the demand in the CS and LAs, but afaik the HSE is a different case as they have suspended the scheme until the unions agree with their plans re deployment, opening hours etc.Notwithstanding all that they continued to encourage & process applications, but to my knowledge, nobody has been allowed to go.

The problem in the HSE was that the unions wanted to discuss the scheme, and HR apparently took that as a refusal to co-operate.

Following discussions, it appears that the ISER process is now being rolled out in the HSE and staff who applied and received local approval are being asked to decide and declare a retirement date.

Following discussions, it appears that the ISER process is now being rolled out in the HSE and staff who applied and received local approval are being asked to decide and declare a retirement date.

Gipiman, If that is a quote, where did you get it from?

Well, after all of us taking a breather, the ISER is back in the news. Today's Indo has the HSE doing "a dramatic U-turn on their decision to ban staff from availing of the public service early retirement scheme". 513 applications is hardly hair - raising total. And only 188 approvals! I just wonder will there be a stampede now that the noose has been loosened somewhat???

Tentman,

Sorry, I never saw your question to me last month - no, it wasn't a quote just a statement from me at the time.

The HSE did a "u-turn" following intervention by the Dept of Finance.

I have heard from my own line manager (who was approved for ISER) that even though applications have been approved, not all are being processed because of the decision of unions not to co-operate with redeployment (which is the reason that the HSE gave for not deciding on any ISER applications last year!).

"I am directed by the Minister for Health and Children to refer to a request from the
HSE's for approval to lift the suspension on the Incentivised Scheme of Early
Retirement (ISER) in the public health sector, on a restricted basis.
I wish to confirm that sanction has now been received from the Department of
Finance for the implementation of the ISER in the public health sector for those
applicants (employed in both the HSE and in voluntary service providers funded by it)
who applied before the final closing date (23 October 2009) under the scheme and
who have been or will be approved under its terms.
This sanction is subject to the following conditions:
• that the employees concerned retire not later than 31 March 2010;
• that the posts concerned will be suppressed and that the HSE will monitor the
situation to ensure that they remain unfilled;
• that the conditions of the scheme in relation to future re-employment (set out
in this Department's Circular No. 8/2009 dated 15 May 2009) are strictly
adhered to. "

This is hot off the presses from DOH. Means all approved applicants will have to go by 31st March. Now to me this looks like an arbitrary decision by DOH, with, I feel, no little prompting from HSE, as this has been the modus operandi of the top management in HSE since last Sept/Oct. What I feel is unfair is that there are a lot of applicants from the Civil Service and the Local Authorities who have deferrals to end of June & July. Why can't DOH/HSE be the same?

I am aware of a couple of Civil Servants who have been given deferrals to October next! They get the benefit of an extra year's service and can still go under the ISER rules with their pension based on 2009 salary levels!

Tentman;1002033 Means all approved applicants will have to go by 31st March. .... What I feel is unfair is that there are a lot of applicants from the Civil Service ant the Local Authorities who have deferrals to end of June & July. Why can't DOH/HSE be the same?[/QUOTE said:
Perhaps because there will be a new IERS introduced in April, which will have better terms (added years?), and they want as many people as possible gone before then under the old scheme.

Perhaps because there will be a new IERS introduced in April, which will have better terms (added years?), and they want as many people as possible gone before then under the old scheme.

Fat chance IMHO. This is the HSE we're talking about, not exactly flush with money, or indeed the inclination to even go down that road :rolleyes:

Fat chance IMHO. This is the HSE we're talking about, not exactly flush with money, or indeed the inclination to even go down that road :rolleyes:

I can see them introducing something like this at this stage.

One of the main objectives is to reduce WTE's and at this stage they are flogging a dead horse so need more carrots.

I agree sections of the HSE are not inclined to go down this road but Corporate HSE (as we call it) will do anything to reduce the wte.

If for example they pay out 10% of the lumpsum now or even 5%, add a couple of years and don't backfill, there is a saving plus the all important 'reduced wte'.

Well, I am aware of efforts to encourage a few Grade 8/Gen Mgrs to go with packages, but no one has bitten of late. A few A.N.Ds have gone in the West, so it may be this cohort that any new scheme is aimed at.

Is this just wishful thinking, rumour and conjecture, or have you heard something that I haven't.....?!

HSE West, at least, are now declaring that agreed defers made post closing date are now null & void and you must sign a new Application and Form B2 AND agree to jump ship by 31st March. This is not the case in the CS or LAs. Seems like a case of the HSe doing another solo run and there was no mention of this new arrangement in their circular of 11th of February. Anyone able to throw light on this ???

HSE West, at least, are now declaring that agreed defers made post closing date are now null & void and you must sign a new Application and Form B2 AND agree to jump ship by 31st March. This is not the case in the CS or LAs. Seems like a case of the HSe doing another solo run and there was no mention of this new arrangement in their circular of 11th of February. Anyone able to throw light on this ???

Any retirees lurking, who might have some info on above?

I know 2 (grade VII and VIII) leaving for the march deadline but none after that. I can't see the HSE getting any concession here as they are the biggest group. If they allow one they are open to more looking for it.

I'm aware of a couple of HSE ISER retirees who were told that they had to go by 31st March or not go at all, whether their departments were ready to let them go on that date or not.

Well, almost a month gone since D-Day. I suppose no one knows how many jumped ship, due to the fact that HSE HQ are not getting any returns from the areas, and won't know how their spending is panning out. Makes my blood boil, the way they manipulate their "problems". If it were a private business, the top management would have been sent packing long ago.

Any indications if the Incentivised Early Retirement Scheme will be offered to Civil/Public servants in 2010?

Any views on whether it will simply be a re-issue of last year's scheme or might the terms and conditions be more attractive, given that Government urgently need to reduce the public sector pay bill?

Thanks.

Back