Incapacitated Child Tax Credit

dubdub123

my GP has completed this form in relation to my son.
I was hoping to get some guidance before i move forward

- if i submit this now and apply for incapacitated child credit for 2022, will my tax credits for rest of year be modified or will a refund be triggered?

- can i apply for this credit for previous years (2018 to 2021)

- do i need to provide further supporting information? Eg ASD diagnosis report

- a few years ago I got a company to complete my tax back for 2016 and i sent them.all the details which was grand. I then updated my revenue info to state no agent, however they have since claimed tax back for other years without contacting me in advance, and triggered an update to agent info. Can i go back and claim against those years again?? Also, how can i stop them updating agent info again.

How do you claim Incapacitated Child Tax Credit?​

Look at what your doctor wrote in the reply to Question 1 of the ICC 2 Form - you can claim the credit with effect from the date shown there, with the constraint (as you know) that you can only claim back for the past four tax years.

Removing an agent and updating bank account details​

If you do not wish to have an agent act on your behalf, you must remove him or her from your Revenue record.

If you do not do this, he or she will continue to receive correspondence and have access to your records.

If you want to remove an agent you must:

• make a request through MyEnquiries in MyAccount
  • make a request in writing to your local Revenue office.
Where you have previously authorised an agent to receive refunds on your behalf, you must update the bank account details saved in your Profile in myAccount. If you do not do this, any future refunds will continue to be paid into your agent’s bank account.

It looks as though Revenue may not have been correctly informed by you that you've stopped using that tax agent.

Last edited:
- if i submit this now and apply for incapacitated child credit for 2022, will my tax credits for rest of year be modified or will a refund be triggered?
A bit of both. You'll be refunded the portion of the credit from 1 January to when the credit is applied through your pay and the rest through tax credits for the rest of the year.

I'm assuming that you're in PAYE employment here. If not, you'll get the whole lot applied when you file your tax return for the year.

A bit of both. You'll be refunded the portion of the credit from 1 January to when the credit is applied through your pay and the rest through tax credits for the rest of the year.

I'm assuming that you're in PAYE employment here. If not, you'll get the whole lot applied when you file your tax return for the year.
Ok great thank you. And yes PAYE employment.

So ive submitted the form for this year only, for now. Any idea if it takes long for revenue to confirm, or how does it all work?

Anyone have any experience on this? Myaccount is stating that they've received docs and may need to contact me.
No mention of turnaround times.
If anyone has been through this recently, would appreciate guidance.

Anyone have any experience on this? Myaccount is stating that they've received docs and may need to contact me.
No mention of turnaround times.
If anyone has been through this recently, would appreciate guidance.
My partner claimed this, the turn around was very quick from what I remember once the forms were submitted online, less than 2 weeks I think?

My partner claimed this, the turn around was very quick from what I remember once the forms were submitted online, less than 2 weeks I think?
Ok great thank you. So far ive just added this for 2022 and im just seeing a message. Hopefully will know soon enough. Thanks

I had to submit another form (ICC1 and ICC2 both needed) and i submitted both again last week.

Today its showing the credit of 3300 along with other credits.

Anyone know does this mean its now approved? Should I expect correspondence from Revenue regarding this update?

Any info appreciated

€3,300 sounds like this credit alright.
In my experience you don't generally get any further correspondence from Revenue when they make changes to your credits etc.
Unless they've sent you something via the myAccount messaging system?
If in doubt, send them a message there to clarify matters.

€3,300 sounds like this credit alright.
In my experience you don't generally get any further correspondence from Revenue when they make changes to your credits etc.
Unless they've sent you something via the myAccount messaging system?
If in doubt, send them a message there to clarify matters.
I had messaged them a couple of times just to check if everything was ok. I might try them again to understand if everything all set and what the next steps are. Thank you.

Have some experience of this albeit 10 years ago but haven't heard any reason why it would be any different now. As said above you should see the credits for 2022 applied from Jan this year to your next pay and the balance of the credits applied over the coming months for the remainder of the year. If you child is more than 4 years old you should also receive a payment from Revenue for the previous 3 years. This is what happened for us at the time and was all done within 2 months of applying. Hope this helps.

Have some experience of this albeit 10 years ago but haven't heard any reason why it would be any different now. As said above you should see the credits for 2022 applied from Jan this year to your next pay and the balance of the credits applied over the coming months for the remainder of the year. If you child is more than 4 years old you should also receive a payment from Revenue for the previous 3 years. This is what happened for us at the time and was all done within 2 months of applying. Hope this helps.
Great thank you. Do you know if the credit stops when child turns 18, or continues as long as they are being supported. Thank you

The Incapacitated Child Tax Credit is available in respect of a child who is:

• under 18 years of age and permanently incapacitated physically or mentally
  • or
  • over 18 years of age and unable to maintain themselves.
Where the child is over 18 years of age, he or she must have become permanently incapacitated:

• before turning 21 years of age
  • or
  • while in full-time education or training for a trade or profession. This training must last for at least two years.
There must be a reasonable expectation that, if the child were over 18, they would not be able to maintain themselves.

For the purposes of this credit, 'maintain' means the ability to support themselves by earning a living from working.

Above extract from Revenue. I also find the whole thing confusing as we don't have a crystal ball to know if he/she will be able to maintain themselves later in life. I'm relying on the lines in bold as, for now, people with additional needs often face difficulty in securing employment. Should that change or his/her ability to maintain themselves is realised - happy days. Applying for the credit now when the child is a minor is, in my opinion, reasonable when looking at the challenges being faced.

The Incapacitated Child Tax Credit is available in respect of a child who is:

• under 18 years of age and permanently incapacitated physically or mentally
  • or
  • over 18 years of age and unable to maintain themselves.
Where the child is over 18 years of age, he or she must have become permanently incapacitated:

• before turning 21 years of age
  • or
  • while in full-time education or training for a trade or profession. This training must last for at least two years.
There must be a reasonable expectation that, if the child were over 18, they would not be able to maintain themselves.

For the purposes of this credit, 'maintain' means the ability to support themselves by earning a living from working.

Above extract from Revenue. I also find the whole thing confusing as we don't have a crystal ball to know if he/she will be able to maintain themselves later in life. I'm relying on the lines in bold as, for now, people with additional needs often face difficulty in securing employment. Should that change or his/her ability to maintain themselves is realised - happy days. Applying for the credit now when the child is a minor is, in my opinion, reasonable when looking at the challenges being faced.
Great thank you so much. Its impossible to know the future for sure. Ive submitted an application and i did receive statement of liability yesterday for years 2018, 2019, 2021 stating they will pay the amount.
Its looking really positive but ill wait til i have the amount in my account.
For 2020, i was in receipt of the wage subsidy scheme. I might need to submit taxes for that year before they issue the statement... im not sure.
Honestly this will make a huge difference if it all goes through.
Good to know it extends past 18 years, as it will help going forward.

My son also has an application in for disability allowance, but ive heard majority are rejected first time and that it takes months. Im worried about his future. Hes extremely intelligent but with communication difficulties and anxiety and which such a high rate of unemployment in the ASD community, its concerning. Honestly ICC will make such a difference if he beeds further therapy, OT etc

@dubdub123 Completely understand, it's infuriating and worrying being made jump through so many hoops and multiple rejections when applying for accommodations that are not giving an advantage but only going some way towards levelling the playing field. I wouldn't let any rejection of the DA put you off, as you've said, it's often refused only to be granted later on if pursued. Always concered about future also but just have to plough on and deal with the now as best we can. Awareness and acceptance is improving all the time so have to hope that will continue.

My son also has an application in for disability allowance, but ive heard majority are rejected first time and that it takes months.

Many of them are rejected because they are incomplete or fail to include required documentation. Sadly, a significant minority of applicants seem to regard the DSP as some-form of State-run ATM so pay little or no attention to the requirements of the vetting process.

Last edited:
Just to give an update on this

Initially I uploadee the form completed by GP and revenue came back looking for additional form and saud to reply to that enquiry

I them completed and uploaded ICC1 and ICC2 and attached in response, but didnt hear anything back

I tried again to upload and thought it had completed but later realised it was pending

Finally, uploaded docs, received a reference code via email. Very quickly I got statement of liability updated for 2018, 2019, 2021 and received refund.

With the help of this site, I then completed 2020 tax returns and after a few days was issued with statement of liability and smaller refund as I owed taxes due to TWSS

For 2022, ICC is showing up as a credit but im not sure exactly how that will work as ive also judt moved company and was overtaxed first pay cycle.

Hope this hekps anyone trying to claim. No reports sent it but GP had a copy if needed.

Just to give an update on this

Initially I uploadee the form completed by GP and revenue came back looking for additional form and saud to reply to that enquiry

I them completed and uploaded ICC1 and ICC2 and attached in response, but didnt hear anything back

I tried again to upload and thought it had completed but later realised it was pending

Finally, uploaded docs, received a reference code via email. Very quickly I got statement of liability updated for 2018, 2019, 2021 and received refund.

With the help of this site, I then completed 2020 tax returns and after a few days was issued with statement of liability and smaller refund as I owed taxes due to TWSS

For 2022, ICC is showing up as a credit but im not sure exactly how that will work as ive also judt moved company and was overtaxed first pay cycle.

Hope this hekps anyone trying to claim. No reports sent it but GP had a copy if needed.
Can I ask how did you apply for the ICC ?
We are just starting out this exact process.
Thanks

Back