Inappropriate Comments to Children!!

LouthLass

Hope this is the right forum for this but please move if appropriate!

At the moment in county Louth, there is a bit of a story going round about some chap wearing a Mike Myers mask going into shops and basically acting the tit(not robbing the shops or threatening behaviour - just playing the fool and semi-scaring the shop staff!) He is playing the fool and apparently some of his friends are in on it but the sad fact of the matter is, that as is typical with urban legends, the story round the school yards has escalated into he is a serial killer and get can into any house!!

Anyway, my 10yo nephew and I went into a local chippy and the 'woman' (at least in her 30's and who should know better!!) insisted on telling my nephew and I that she had heard of this character and she believed it to be true despite me telling her that she was scaring him!! I was so annoyed I told her to shove her food and left!! Afterwards I thought I was overreacting until my nephew woke up crying and wondering if the doors were locked!!

Basically, I'm letting off steam regarding silly adults telling children stupid urban legends and making them believe it to true - I'm so annoyed! Anyone got any similar stories to share and get annoyed about??

Every child has been told about the man in the van who goes around towns and nabs children.

It makes it onto the Joe Duffy show every few months as people panick over it
"Didn't see it myself Joe, but a friend of a friend confirmed it. I'm terrified for my childs safety"
And then people start watching for vans near schools

Thats true.

I guess you'll just have to try and sit the lad down and explain about how people exagerate to the point of trying to scare people.

Say that there is a guy going round trying to be silly or funny, but that someone had told that woman the wrong story just to scare her.

I presume it was michael myers (as in the hockey mask style) and not Mike Myers (austin Powers), not sure which one is scarier though.

I presume it was michael myers (as in the hockey mask style) and not Mike Myers (austin Powers), not sure which one is scarier though.
Michael Myers is the slasher character from the Halloween series of movies. He doesn’t wear a hockey mask. The mask he wears is actually a mask of William Shatner, but with the eyes made wider and the eyebrows removed. Scarey.

Yes, it was the scary Mike Myers as opposed to the not so scary Wayne's World Myers:D

Anyway, slight update on my original post. The lady from the chippie has actually apologised to my nephew and explained that she had misunderstood the story and really made it clear to him that it was all a rumour!! We even got a promise of a free meal if we come back. Feel slightly guilty for being a bit harsh towards her but I also apologised so now everything is alright, amazing how a clearing of the air can make you feel so much better:)

Thanks to everyone for your replies (though it is still a bit disconcerting how some adults can be sucked in by silly rumours).

Kind regards

LL

Although i totally disagree with frightening children obviously, the man in the van is a brilliant idea. i remember coming home from school and if any of us saw a van we would make sure we all got home and nooone was left alone, and we would NEVER speak to the person in the van. in my eyes thats a very good thing! in saying that, i would never date a guy that drove a white van!! :D

I still think they may be weirdos!! haha! :D

Basically, I'm letting off steam regarding silly adults telling children stupid urban legends and making them believe it to true - I'm so annoyed!

I was watching 8 out of 10 cats last night and had to laugh when one of the guests said that as a child he had been terrified every Christmas of the fat man who had easy access to the house, would tiptoe around and leave things by your bed but only when he had checked that you were asleep!

I was watching 8 out of 10 cats last night and had to laugh when one of the guests said that as a child he had been terrified every Christmas of the fat man who had easy access to the house, would tiptoe around and leave things by your bed but only when he had checked that you were asleep!

Yeah, any other time of the year and he'd be arrested !

Back