In general are you:
(a) spending more than you earn, or
(b) saving?

Spending what I earn, not saving anything, just paying debts
Rough estimate of value of home: 280,000
Amount outstanding on your mortgage: 350,000
What interest rate are you paying? 4.7% Fixed rate till September this year

Other borrowings – car loans/personal loans etc
Personal loan = 15,000 (700euro a month until september 2012)
Student loan = 8,000 (30 euro a month for forseeable future)
credit Card = 2,000

Overdraft = 1,000

Do you pay off your full credit card balance each month? No
If not, what is the balance on your credit card? As above

Savings and investments:
Credit Union = 3,000 savings

Do you have a pension scheme? Yes. Public Sector pension

Do you own any investment or other property?
no
Ages of children: N/A

Life insurance: N/A

What specific question do you have or what issues are of concern to you?

Having been affected and taken a 17% pay cut this year, I am now at the stage where I do not think i can manage my finances any more. I am distraught over it. I am bringing home 750 euro a fortnight, 1500a month (after the Credit union loan is taken out at source) and having nothing to show for it at all. My mortgage is 900 a month (Bought with someone else who pays the other half of the mortgage). I am struggling to manage my bills - I have cancelled my phone contract, my internet bill,i have no sky. My wage comes in, I pay my mortgage, my credit card bill (which i let get to 2000 stupidly - i now pay what i can each month and keep it within its limit) and any gas bill etc. I am left with next to nothing.

Any help/ advice would be great.

Hi inneedofhelp,

Have you spoken to the bank re: the large personal loan? There is 2 years left on this loan, perhaps they would be willing to extend out the term to reduce monthly payments?

The savings you have in the Credit Union - are they used to secure a loan or are you free to withdraw some funds? If they are free I would suggest withdrawing 2,000 and using it to pay off the CC. The interest you pay on the CC is extortionate and thats one monthly payment you can be rid of.

You dont mention the amount you pay towards the mortgage?

You need to start looking through every aspect of your life with a fine comb... car expenses - petrol, tax, insurance - would public transport be possible? It would cut down expenses.

Is the co-owner of the house living with you? Is finding a tenant possible?

dmos87, 900 euro a month towards mortgage, start of third line down in the specific questions part.

Can you get a part time job? Can you take in a tenant? Are you claiming all your tax reliefs? Can you cut down on your food bill?

Back