Importing diesel car from UK, should I wait till after July ?

Wexfordman

Hi,

Looking at changing our car, and possbily looking at an A4 or a Passat, both diesel, and most likely 1.9 versions. Could anyone advise if it would be better for me to wait til the new rates come in on July 1st, or should I ploough ahead now ? Anyone with any experience or advice on buying int he UK would be appreciated also.

On a similar note, was at a local dealer in Cork on Saturday, for a drive test, and was a bit confused about some of the things he was saying, namely when I asked him if second hand car prices would also fall along new car prices in July, his reply was their pricing already reflected the drop expected in second hand cars. Not that convinced by what he was saying.

Third note, he offered my only 500 Euro trade in on a 00 S40. I know its 8 years old, has high mileage (138k) is a 1.8 petrol, and needs a bit of paintwork, but 500 euro ?

Wexfordman

Yes, do wait. Diesels generally cheaper after 1 July, particularly bigger diesels, so you would save on 1.9 ltr.

To import & get lower road tax into the future you'd need to get an '08 car (though you still get the lower VRT on the import once after 1 July '08, even if the car is 2007 or older).

Am also looking to import, think it makes sense if you have no trade in/minimal trade in. In that case you should prob sell privately in Ireland and buy in UK.

Make sure your UK car is at least 6months old and at least 5,000 miles as otherwise Irish VAT to pay (though I met a guy at the weekend who bought new in the UK, paid Irish VAT on top and still felt he did better than Ireland - top end Merc though). He recommended going through a main dealer - felt the "supermarkets" were more risky, which they prob are, but many have done fine with supermarkets.

Am also thinking of importing an '08 A4, whether I'll do it in 08 or 09. Theres a new 120bhp coming out so that would do me (new models to date have been 140bhp and more expensive).

Import from Uk is good idea at the moment with the low value of sterling!!

Thinking of this myself. Mind you I think leave a wee while to let things settle. Definitely a good idea more choice in the uk even the north.

Will be interesting to see what happens.

A bit more of a slide in sterling would help though.

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

TOSullivan, its a used car I am thinking of importing, dont think I could stretch to a new one :)

Regards,
Wexfordman

You will liable to pre Jul 1 VRT rates if the car being imported was registered in 2007 or earlier. Importing an older car with low emmisions is the same as buying a car of the same age in Ireland.

[broken link removed]
Minister John Gormley's clarification on the VRT on new vs imported cars

You will liable to pre Jul 1 VRT rates if the car being imported was registered in 2007 or earlier. Importing an older car with low emmisions is the same as buying a car of the same age in Ireland.

i think you meant pre July 1 motor tax rates, not VRT.

I am not sure what your second statement means? If the price in the UK (including the VRT you pay here after importing it) is lower for the same car that is sold in Ireland, how is it the same?

Back