Importing a campervan from Mainland Europe

suicra05

I was thinking of importing a CamperVan from Germany. Does anybody know what are the costs involved?
Will it be cheaper than importing it from the UK (post Brexit)?

im currently looking into doing the same thing and what im getting so far that if the campervan is over 2 ton weight there is no vat to be paid on it from germany or the eurozone but that would mean i think it would be classed as a truck but not sure on this. A few of my friends also were looking into buying a campervan in Europe and parking it up in a lockup for the rest of the year until you want to use it again . The thinking behind this is that it would save costs on the ferry by just getting a flight to the particular area and picking up your campervan plus it may be a cheaper option but im open to anything. Any thoughts on this are welcome

im currently looking into doing the same thing and what im getting so far that if the campervan is over 2 ton weight there is no vat to be paid on it from germany or the eurozone but that would mean i think it would be classed as a truck but not sure on this. A few of my friends also were looking into buying a campervan in Europe and parking it up in a lockup for the rest of the year until you want to use it again . The thinking behind this is that it would save costs on the ferry by just getting a flight to the particular area and picking up your campervan plus it may be a cheaper option but im open to anything. Any thoughts on this are welcome
I am seeking a VW Campervan to import. A good idea for you is to join some European facebook groups for camping and this may facilitate you getting your dream camper.

I haven't ruled out importing either suicra and im looking at all options if you know what i mean. so i would be looking for the same info as you too . Do you know any good facebook groups on this topic

I know a guy who imported a LHD camper van which was just over 30 years old.

It had "classic" status so he saved a lot on motor tax. There are other rules around this (probably <5k km per year) so do your homework, but it worked for him.

A few of my friends also were looking into buying a campervan in Europe and parking it up in a lockup for the rest of the year until you want to use it again .
Out of interest, how would this work out from an insurance perspective? Would the camper be registered / insured in the country where it's kept?

Out of interest, how would this work out from an insurance perspective?
The principle is that the vehicle must be registered in owner's country of residence.

But you can take a vehicle to another (or several) EU countries for up to six months and your insurance in country of residence remains valid. Insurance companies don't like this but EU law obliges them.

In effect I don't think you can permanently keep an Irish-registered vehicle in (say) France, even if off the road in winter months and be insurance compliant. If you had a claim your Irish insurance company would immediately look for evidence of a ferry trip within the last six months. There is also the NCT to be complied with.

The principle is that the vehicle must be registered in owner's country of residence.
That's what I was thinking about. One of the main advantages of say buying a French camper van and keeping it in France would be avoiding registering it in Ireland and paying VRT. But if you had to register it here, it'd have to be physically in the country to do so, and you'd pay VRT, and have to get Irish insurance?

Maybe we're missing something.

But if you had to register it here, it'd have to be physically in the country to do so, and you'd pay VRT, and have to get Irish insurance?
I think so. I haven't looked in depth but I think you wouldd have to legally register as resident at a French town hall at a French address before you can register a vehicle in France in your own name.

What are the costs involved in importing a UK campervan?
Is it much more post-Brexit?
My understanding:
Pre-Brexit, you paid VRT. 13.5% of Revenue's assessed value.

Post Brexit, first you pay customs duty @10% (where applicable) & VAT @21% (soon to be 23%) on import. Then VRT as before.

Good afternoon
We are looking at buying a motorhome in France with my sister ,who lives there . 50% each but it will stay mostly in France ,would there be a problem if I brought it to Ireland in an autumn time and stored it till spring time and off we go again
We hope to be in Europe for about 3 months each but not all in one go maybe 2 trips

50% each but it will stay mostly in France ,would there be a problem if I brought it to Ireland in an autumn time and stored it till spring time and off we go again
I am assuming you would register and insure it in France. The issue is that French insurance will only be valid for 6 months after it leaves France.

Otherwise I assume storage in France would be cheaper than two ferry trips a year, but that's up to you.

Back