Importation duty on laptop from the USA

• Thread starter HomerSimpson
  • Start date
H

HomerSimpson

Hi Guys,

I've got a question regarding the importation of a lightweight laptop from the USA.

I haven't really been able to find the item in Europe so the USA looks like the place to go.

I've tried looking up the revenue.ie PDF forms for import duty and this is what I found, have I got the correct information here? According to the documentation column 4 described the duty applicable and it shows 0%, can that be right? I know that revenue rules dictate I should pay an additional 21% VAT on the final import price which includes purchase price, insurance, freight & duty.

Info pulled from this PDF:

[broken link removed] - Page 58

Column 1

-Portable digital automatic data-processing machines,
weighing not more than 10 kg, consisting of at least a
central processing unit, a keyboard and a display

-Other digital automatic data-processing machines:
- -Comprising in the same housing at least a central
processing unit and an input and output unit, whether or
not combined:

Column 2
8471 30 00 00

Column 3
kg & No 0;

Column 4
0; AIRWO:0 (CD333)

Column 5
ABH, AD, BG, CH, CL, EEA, FO, GSP, GSPA, GSPL, HR, IL, LOMAB,
MCH, MGB, MK, MX, PS, RO, SM, TR, XC, XL, ZA:0

Column 6
DU (CD095)

I'm not trying to avoid tax or duty here, I'm just trying to see if it's worth my while importing from the USA or should I just pick another laptop that I'd like to buy!

Thanks in advance,

HS.

No customs duty payable See [broken link removed] , However VAT @ 21% on CIF price correct.
May also be a small administrative charge by agent for customs clearance.

What about warranty issues ?

Hi Furze,

Thanks for the info, sorry for the delay in replying.

I'm not too worried about warranty's, if I pick right I can get a laptop from a manufacturer who gives an international warranty. Knowing that I won't have to pay import duty opens up my choices a bit.

Regards.

HS.

Back