Import Tax on Antwerp Ring

LFC Murphy

Hi there,

Plan to head to Antwerp tomorrow to buy that lump of rock. This forum has been great and has lead to me deciding to head over.

Anyway one piece of information I feel is missing from the people that have done this is was your purchases liable for Tax (import). Not really in the know about such things.

Thanks in advance.

Hi there,

Plan to head to Antwerp tomorrow to buy that lump of rock. This forum has been great and has lead to me deciding to head over.

Anyway one piece of information I feel is missing from the people that have done this is was your purchases liable for Tax (import). Not really in the know about such things.

Thanks in advance.

Legally it is...let's just leave it at that!

I thought that if you bought something on a retail basis VAT inclusive within the EU then no further tax liabilities arose when bringing it to another EU country? Or are high valued items treated differently?

I thought that if you bought something on a retail basis VAT inclusive within the EU then no further tax liabilities arose when bringing it to another EU country

That was my opinion. Obviously cars are an exception...

My understanding is that as long as I pay VAT within the EU that is all the tax I will pay.

Can anyone clarify this?

Why are cars an obvious exception. Or are you mixing up VAT & VRT.

Why are cars an obvious exception. Or are you mixing up VAT & VRT.

Sorry for being unclear. VRT is payable on cars, not VAT. My point was that there are fees payable in Ireland when buying a car elsewhere in the EU.

VAT is also payable (as well as VRT) on new cars bought within the EU. See revenue.ie for details. Another exception to the general principle of paying VAT only in country of purchase (though you can try to claim back the original VAT from country of purchase) Sorry OP for going off track - I'd be very surprised if diamonds are treated similarly

no problem, as long as for personal use.
Mentions it here under tax heading
[broken link removed]

Back