Impact of unpaid leave on your salary

w.sakina

Hello,

I will be taking 7 days unpaid leave later this year and I would like to know is there a big impact on your salary? On your tax?
How to get tax back following that?

Thanks for your help.

You shouldn't need to do anything to get the tax back. It should just be reduced for the month you take unpaid leave.

If you are taking 7 days unpaid leave, then your salary will be down that amount, relative of tax payments. Is this unpaid leave part of your entitlements - e.g. parental leave ?

Have you a payroll / HR team where you work? You will need to give them as much notice as you can in relation to your time off. The payroll dept will sort out everything in relation to reduced pay / tax that time. Usually, your manager would need to ok this time off, so again talk to them well in advance of taking this time. Please note, it could be refused first time around if it's not a good time in relation to deadlines / workload etc. It's uncommon to be refused, but not unheard of.

Thank you for responding to my post. I am taking this unpaid leave to travel.
Will it have a big impact on my salary that month?
I was told that because the money I will be taxed on is less then the impact shouldn't be that big.

I will be taking 7 days unpaid leave later this year and I would like to know is there a big impact on your salary?

How is your holiday pay calculated ?

In my job I get paid an hourly rate, holiday pay is calculated on your average daily hours over the previous 13 weeks.

I usually work a 40-hour week so my usual holiday day pay is my hourly rate x 8.

Earlier this year I took a week’s unpaid leave. Two months later I took my 2 weeks summer holidays. The 5 unpaid leave days reduced my daily average over the previous 13 weeks to 7.38 hours, so I got 73.8 hours for my 10 holiday days, a loss of 6.2 hours at my hourly rate. An unexpected consequence of unpaid leave.

It seems in my job anyway certified sick leave, holiday days, maternity leave etc are all reckonable for holidays, but unpaid leave will reduce holiday pay if taken in the next 13 weeks.

Hello, Thank you for your answer.
I am not quite sure how my holiday pay is calculated but we get the equivalent of 21 days in hours at the beginning of the year. We shut down for Christmas so the hours are deducted at the beginning of the year.

Back