'immersion tanks'

apple

Hi

I have just found out I need to replace my immersion tank, its about 20 yrs old. I received a quote of €500 from one plumber to supply and fit, this seems a bit high as I've seen a web site were they will do the same job for €175, the company is called ercare.ie but they dont have a phone number, any advice giving would be great.

Who advised that the tank needs to be replaced? Are you sure that it's the tank and not the heating elements that need to be replaced? Or both? Shop around for quotes.

The heating element was the original problem, but the plumber told us that when he tried to replace the element he noticed a pin hole leak around the tank side of the tank were the element goes in ( we never had this problem tell he started messing around with it) he told us that the tank would have to be replaced asap and he could do it for €500. he stop the leak by soldering it but its only a temp solution.

Fair enough. Just checking in case there was some confusion about what precisely needed to be replaced. Did you ask the plumber why the pinhole wasn't an issue before he tackled the job? Can't help on the substantive issue of recommending somebody or giving an idea of a fair price but, to be honest, off the top of my head I would have expected it to be nearer €500 than €175. The latter seems very low but check out the people offering it and ask for references.

Back