Immersion Heater tripping electricity.

Bronco Lane

When I switch on my immersion heater the electricity trips in the house. Sometimes when the tank is cold I can switch it on and it is OK bit after about 30 minutes the electricity trips.

I need to get this fixed. Do I need a plumber or electrician or both? Any recommendations for someone reliable to do the job in the Blackrock area of Dublin.

Thanks

The immersion element is likely shot, they're <€50 for the part. A plumber has replaced one for me in the past, but also know plenty of electricians who do them, so I'd say either will help you out.

No recommendations sorry, but I've found tradesmen.ie great for stuff like this!

Out of curiosoty, do you really need to heat water in this way? If your central heating is zoned, you should be able to heat water much more cheaply using gas/oil.
Do you have an elecric shower?

IMO, immersion should be emergency back-up only.

Thanks. I have gas central heating run from a Stanley cooker. Unfortunately the house is not zoned. When we switch on our Stanley, the kitchen area heats up, also one radiator in another room. We can switch off the remaining radiators. Two rooms can get very hot, especially in the summer.

We use the immersion in the summer months. Within 15 minutes we have a tank full of hot water. It suits us fine.

Is it a big job to change the element in the tank?

Half an hour if all goes well. There's a risk of damaging the tank when you remove them though, which would turn it into a much longer and more expensive job!

If you're curious, this guy is a bit of a nutter but has great videos on most plumbing jobs, just to give you an idea of what's involved - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZ2MT0SKVZY

If it's a small tank with one element it is a quick enough job. If you have two you may need to replace both and that means emptying the tank.

Back