iMac or Dell XPS 720

What time? Once the software/driver is installed I have no need to reinstall it. I haven't seen a conflict in many years. So not an issue for me, or my users tbh. It depends if you'd use those apps. Only some users would, so it would depend on what you use it for. I work in IT and rarely see the problems you are talking about, even with Vista, and I don't like Vista.

What about viruses and spyware?
Its not like Mac's are immune to problems either.
Come on! The OS is out about 1 week. The serivce pack on XP that made it acutally usable connected to the internet came out 1 year after XP while service pack 3 is currently in development 6 years after XP was released !
I like macs but they are not perfect machines the marketing would have you believe.
I'm not saying that but Windows is not even at the races when compared to OSX.

I do, yes. However I also believe that Apple tries harder than anyone else to put together high quality components that work well together.

The surveys don't really agree with you. Apple usually rates on a par with the quality PC brands.
Which is logical since they all use the same components.
Apple is not immune to problems though. [broken link removed]

What about viruses and spyware?
Come on! The OS is out about 1 week. The serivce pack on XP that made it acutally usable connected to the internet came out 1 year after XP while service pack 3 is currently in development 6 years after XP was released !
I'm not saying that but Windows is not even at the races when compared to OSX.

Once you install some AV/Security and don't be an idiot on the web its not a problem. XP was very usuable on the web when released. Most of SP1 was released in updates and patches before the service pack. Service pack 3 will be the same.

Of course OS X is more advanced that Windows. XP is just a development of Windows NT released in 1993. OS X is essentially an Apple flavoured Unix. The security model of OS X is copied from UNIX. "It is a descendent of the BSD UNIX family and the original AT&T UNIX, which have been around more than 30 years." [broken link removed] OS X is a nice OS no argument. Its has its own problems though. Some would have you believe it has none.

Something also to remember is that Mac's have a much higher resale value than equivalent PC's - so the actual cost to own one is not as high, often as the same spec PC, even if the PC costs less on day 1.

They also rock :)

Something also to remember is that Mac's have a much higher resale value than equivalent PC's - so the actual cost to own one is not as high, often as the same spec PC, even if the PC costs less on day 1.

They also rock :)

They do indeed rock but...

Apple has a habit of forced obsolescence that decimates the value of the older platforms. The recent change to Intel from G5 really hurt the values of the G4/G5( desktops at least). Luckly theres usually community hacks (like XPostFacto) that circumvent Apples forced obsolescence. But even when thats not an issue I think the 2nd hand market really wants intel machines not the earlier ones.

[broken link removed] is a great article on the subject.

I agree with you on the Intel stuff, and Apple's 'way' (I have an Applie IIgs on my desk here, one of the worst examples of apples abandonment of their loyal customers :) ) - but the newer intel macs are pretty well futureproofed for the forseeable future.

Indeed hence...

....Apples are lovely machines and are better now than they've ever been in the past.

Basically this is good time to buy an Apple.

They moved hardware platforms a good few times over the years. So they could do it again.
However theres nothing on the immediate horizon likely to make Apple move from Intel. Unless Steve has a row with intel over something.

Never say never :)

Ahh, my poor IIgs - better than most of the early mac's she was, and still going strong since 1988!

Back