Illness Benefit

bellandbear

Hi just wanted to ask I nearly finished my maternity leave and I am not fit to go back to work I was working 3 days before I went on maternity leave and was claiming JSB am I entitled to illness benefit if I'm not able to go bck to work.

Thanks

You can apply for illness benefit if you are unable to return to work - entitlement will be based on your PRSI contributions.

Sorry would I have used up all my contributions my JSB was nearly finished when I went on maternity leave. Thanks so much.

I have 14 weeks fulltime contributions back in Oct 2010/January 2011 would that mean I would be entitled to it.

To qualify you must have 104 contributions since you first started work and 39 contributions, either paid or credited, in the relevant tax year (which is 2010). A minimum of 13 of the 39 must be paid (i.e. you must have worked for 13 weeks in 2010).

Although you are a part-time worker, you are probably paying class A PRSI contributions which will count. If you were unemployed, you would have received a credit for each week you signed on.

Sorry I dont really understand the whole system my 14 weeks that I worked full time was started in October 2010 and ended in January 2011. I am paying class A PRSI and I was never unemployed and I have worked for the past 7 years in my job. Part time for the past 2 years in between that I claimed JSB and did 14 weeks full time.

Sorry for being annoying but does all your 13 weeks contributions have to be in the one year ?? Thanks so much for your help

You have to meet 2 conditions to be eligible for Illness Benefit.

1. You must have paid 104 class A contributions since you started work - 104 contributions is 2 years, so you must have worked for 2 years (doesn't all have to be consecutive).

2. You must have 39 contributions for the calendar year 2010 - these can be a combination of paid or credited , but 13 of the contributions must be paid. The 39 (and 13) contributions must be in the same year.

If I understand your posts, you have worked either part-time or full-time for the past 7 years (apart from your maternity leave). This suggests that you've been paying PRSI contributions for the past 7 years, and in that case you should qualify.

If you contact illness benefit section (contact details at the bottom of the page I linked to earlier), they can give you more information on your contributions and entitlements.

Back