Illness Benefit - reapply even though on it since 2008?

gm88

A friend of mine has been on illess benefit since 2008, having had multiple operations, none of which have cured the problem, and therefore out of work since early 2008.

He IS in receipt of payment since 2008 and gets certs from his GP, but has now been sent out a form to re-apply for this Illness Benefit. I thought it was claims from 2009 that had to change to the new pensions/disability schemes?

Anyone else experience this?

Anyone on Illness Benefit (IB) can apply for Invalidity Pension if they meet the medical criteria - it's not restricted to those who applied for IB since 2009.

If your friend has been on IB since 2008 and appears unlikely to be able to return to work for the foreseeable future, then it would be worth his while applying for Invalidity Pension - the amount paid is slightly higher and there are other benefits (e.g. household benefits, free travel).

Thanks for reply. He does appear unlikely to return to work anytime soon, if ever, so perhaps it is something he should look at . He rang SW today & was told he was obliged to fill out & return any form they may send him. The form does look like he is just applying for the IB he already is in receipt of so he thought it was a mistake.

He would be obliged to comply with any request for additional information or a review of his entitlement. However, he would not be compelled to apply for a new payment such as Invalidity Pension. Naturally he can if he wishes.

Maybe SW are reviewing his entitlement to Illness Benefit? Don't know of any circumstances where he would have to make a new application...

A

Anyone on Illness Benefit (IB) can apply for Invalidity Pension if they meet the medical criteria - it's not restricted to those who applied for IB since 2009.

If your friend has been on IB since 2008 and appears unlikely to be able to return to work for the foreseeable future, then it would be worth his while applying for Invalidity Pension - the amount paid is slightly higher and there are other benefits (e.g. household benefits, free travel).

Am I correct that Invalidity pension is means tested though,and IB is not?

Am I correct that Invalidity pension is means tested though,and IB is not?

AFAIK, the Invalidity Pension is NOT means tested, but has to be ok'd by the Dept doctor. The Disability Allowance IS means tested.

Maybe SW are reviewing his entitlement to Illness Benefit? Don't know of any circumstances where he would have to make a new application...

A

His circumstances have not changed over the years, the children that are finished school/college have already been deducted from his claim, nothing else has changed. He's most definitely not working.

Has anyone else been asked to return such a form to review their entitlement to IB?

The claim duration (3 years) may just have triggered a review of the claim details, with a view to recommending an application for Invalidity Pension.

Back