Illness Benefit process

Roro999

I am retiring early from work shortly at 63 on illness grounds. I have recently got a long term illness card. Does my doctor complete a certificate or do I fill up any application form ?

Where should I send my certificate?​

If you have received an official Certificate of Incapacity for Work from your Doctor you should send it immediately to the Department of Social Protection, Illness Benefit, PO Box 1650, Dublin 1.
Alternatively, your Doctor may send the Certificate directly to the Department via electronic certification (eCert).
Please confirm with your doctor that they have submitted an electronic certification (eCert) on your behalf to ensure your Illness Benefit application is processed.
You need to have certs completed and submitted each month on an ongoing basis during the period of illness.

You do not need to have been on Illness benefit for 2 years. If you are retiring from work on illness grounds and have received a long term illness card then I think you should apply immediately for Invalidity Pension which will bring you up to Old Age (State Pension) at 66 or perhaps 67.
It would automatically become State Pension at 66 or 67.

It is not means tested but would be taxable just like any pension (if you have other income)

You do not need to have been on Illness benefit for 2 years. If you are retiring from work on illness grounds and have received a long term illness card then I think you should apply immediately for Invalidity Pension which will bring you up to Old Age (State Pension) at 66 or perhaps 67.
It would automatically become State Pension at 66 or 67.

It is not means tested but would be taxable just like any pension (if you have other income)
Interesting, thanks. I thought I would have to go the illness benefit route. Would Citizens Information confirm your thinking ?

Check the citizens Information website and you can find the qualifying conditions there.
It appears to me you should apply.
My favourite quote as always is "If in doubt apply anyhow". They will tell you if you are not eligible and give you the reasons why

Back