Illegal Parking Outside the Pay & Display zones.

Bronco Lane

My understanding is that the local Council (Dun Laoghaire Rathdown) are responsible for issuing parking tickets to motorists who infringe the parking laws in the area covered by the Pay & Display parking scheme. Also the Gardai. Outside of this area it is the Gardai who police all other areas.

Is this correct?

We live in an area outside the Pay & Display scheme but we notice that some motorists are being given parking tickets by a person who is not a member of an Gardai. Can they do this?

One other question. If a motorist parks on a double yellow line inside the Pay & Display area is it the Gardai the traffic warden or both who can issue a parking ticket fine?

This is what I got from Dun Laoghaire Rathdown Co. Co.

"The current regime the Council has for its Parking Warden Service ensures that wardens primarily patrol the Council’s Pay and Display Parking Control Schemes. Our wardens do not patrol primarily residential estates unless Pay and Display Parking is in operation. This area would be in the remit of An Garda Sióchána"

This is not very clear is it?

But....If they have no authority to put tickets on cars outside the Pay & Display zones are these tickets valid?

You are saying that Dun Laoghaire Rathdown has got a rogue meter maid dispensing vigilante justice outside his jurisdiction?

He is the hero this town deserves.

But....If they have no authority to put tickets on cars outside the Pay & Display zones are these tickets valid?
But the LA has authority to issue tickets out side p&d zones. I know of some smaller rural towns that do not have p&d zones but wardens ruthlessly enforce 2h parking. In the case of Dunleary I suggest the key word is "primarily".

Back