Illegal music downloaders beware!

Was reading that. They are so far behind it is unreal.
Chasing P2P downloaders when that method is on the way out.
The deal is also only with Eircom (so far) so it looks like Eircome will be loseing custom if they start this. Eircoms wireless routers have been proven to be unsecure so its possible someone could be getting warning for their neighbours downloading.
Also as this was an out of court settlement there has been no legal precedent set.
It is also of great concern the methods the record company's are using. They upload their content to P2P networks & get the IP of those who download it. At the moment there are no entrapment laws in Ireland, but this could possibly lead to some.

i was wondering about this when i heard it this morning. The record companies inform eircom that A is downloading music for site Z.
How do they know? How do they have their "stuff" on site Z? Do they set up dummy sites and see who uses them? I cant think how record company knows who's downloading a song from a file share site

It's the method they use to identify 'illegal music downloads' that intrigues me.

Not all music downloads are illegal, so are all to be treated equally ?

If they go after people using bittorrent, that impacts on people who use bittorrent for purposes that do not involve copyright (e.g. Linux distros) ?

Also, do the music companies think that they can 'monetise' the traffic in illegal music downloads into revenue for their pockets ? I suspect that much of the traffic in illegal music downloads is because it is free, i.e. people aren't going to buy CDs to fulfil an equivalent demand, cos there is no (free) equivalent.

From what I can gather they are only targetting peer to peer networks..
Any copyrighted material on there would be accessed illegally (though this method of sharing is dwindling)
They know its been download illegally because its their own material they are monitoring.
They are going about this all wrong IMO. The market has changed & they need to change with it. People are sick of being ripped of having to pay €25 for a CD that costs about 50c to produce. Charge a fair price & people will pay..

People are sick of being ripped of having to pay €25 for a CD that costs about 50c to produce. Charge a fair price & people will pay..

When, and where, is the last time you paid €25 for a CD :eek: ?

Let's not start a "what is and what is not a rip-off" thread ;) ? There are already too many of them. I didn't click on that link, but the URL indicates it's 3 CDs and a DVD, so that's not a fair example.

I have ordered the new Springsteen CD for €8.60, incl. p&p. To me, that's a fair price - less than the cost of 2 pints.

Anyway .. yes, I agree that the music companies remain hopelessly out of touch with their view that broadband represents a threat, and not an opportunity.

just to be clear in my head.
How can a 3rd party monitor whats been transefered peer to peer unless they are the isp or they are hacking.
What triggers that the 3rd party knows their own material is being copied.

whats to stop people requesting a song, and the song zipped, encripted and sent via email

Not trying to start a rip off thread. simply showing the margins.
People are willing to pay for content. They pay subscriptions to file storing sites already. Why not something similar . An annual subscription give you access to all you want. Maby different pacakages like we do for TV. A certain ammount gives to the singles charts. A different package give you the Album chart. etc etc.
People are always going to share. Are they going to go after the mobiles next wanting to know who is sending content via blue tooth??
Remember we all paid for albums years ago.? Then tapes came out & we were expected to pay again for tapes if we wanted to listen in the car. CDs arrived & we were expected to pay again for the same content. Now with MP3s they expect us to pay again to download the same content. Enough is Enough.!!!

just to be clear in my head.
How can a 3rd party monitor whats been transefered peer to peer

Google 'peer to peer' and 'torrent'for more detail. Basically using one of these systems everyone is simultaneously uploading and downloading a file (eg Song X) in chunks from everyone else in one big orgy, they (the music company or one of their agents) join the orgy and thus harvest the IP addressed of all those involved in distributing that particular file.

There are numerous pieces of software that will mask your IP or give a false IP. Whether the ISPs can see through I don't know.

People are sick of being ripped of having to pay €25 for a CD that costs about 50c to produce.
It only costs 50c to produce a CD? So you can get marketing, recording studio hire, music lessons, instruments etc, etc... for 50c? Now that's good value!

It's a complete joke and eircom will loose internet Customer's -happy days for other providers unless they are foolish enough to agree to this as well.
Virgin had a massive pr blunder in the U.K. with something similar to this.

Lads, illegal file sharing / downloading cannot last forever. The only reason the music industry is in such dire straits is because they stuck their head in the sand for too long. Technologically, it's not that hard for them to solve the sharing problem. And I'm sure they will solve it. Those of us who've taken advantage of the industry's sluggish response can hardly complain when they get their act together. No one really believes music should be free, do they?

I think a euro a track or 9.99 per album is a fair price. The industry has more or less responded to this by reducing CD prices towards this level, and lower in the case of a lot of back catalogue material. New releases are 13.99 on the high street. They used to be 18.99 not that long ago.

well just make sure you have every track you can get your hands on now from the 20s till today...er not that i have mind...

Back