Illegal calls from Talk Talk/The Car Phone Warehouse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Is anyone using TalkTalk for telephony?

Have found Talk Talk to be extremely over the top in your face HARD SELLING! I don't like it and therefore as a consumer i will not move to their service.

An alternative if you want to move from Eircom would be Perlico ([broken link removed]) Have found them to be very helpful and the switchover was quick and hassle free.

They are also doing a simliar deal to talk talk that is you get free evening and weekend calls to landlines together with your line rental for €29.99 per month (vat inclusive) On top of that they are also doing broadband at good rates (ie perlico broadband lite 20 hrs per month €9.99 or always on broadband for €19.99 per month)

furthermore you get free calls ar all times to other perlico customers, you get to keep your existing number, and call charges are vastly cheaper than Eircom. One downside although for some people it will be an advantage they insist that you set up a direct debit to pay your monthly bill.

Also i have compared the cost of perlico calls v talk talk. Talk talk is slightly cheaper when it comes to making landline calls. However Perlico is cheaper for mobile calls. International rates are quite similiar.

hope that helps people.

I have used them for the past three years but only for international calls from my landline - from the old 'Vartec' days. In this format they are extremely cheap and have only contacted me once to try and get me to switch over. That was when I changed phone numbers. But some of the posts here are a little worrying regarding the constant hassle.

tigra said:
I'm surprised that none of you have said that Talktalk is your local mobile phone retailer. The Carphone Warehouse..

Actually the OP did mention that in first post.

With regard to their calling I would now be firmly in the camp of never becoming a TalkTalk customer purely as a reaction to their harrassment. Over the last number of months (ever since we got a phone which shows unanswered calls even if no message is left) we've had four or five unanswered calls a day. One Saturday in January I had three calls - one from AIB (re customer survey) looking for the landlady who doesn't live with us permanently, they agreed to call her on her mobile and haven't contacted the house again since. The other two were from someone insisting they could only talk to the eircom account holder (our landlady) and refusing to give me any details of where they were calling from. I told them she was not often there but that for certain reasons is not interested in switching from eircom. Thought this had sorted the problems and was glad I'd been at home to take the calls.

Things quietened down for a couple of weeks and then we started to have four or five missed calls every day again. Finally, last week I was at home sick and had a call, again asking for the eircom account holder. Not being in the best of form I wasn't inclined to be nice so in reply to his "I'll try again later" I told him in no uncertain terms not to do so and insisted he give me the name of the company so that I could ask our landlady to write to them and confirm she's not interested. Turns out it was Talk Talk (that time anyway, obviously I've no proof about previous calls). Then, two days later, with me still very much under the weather yet another phone call this time the girl in question did start by saying she was calling from Talk Talk so as soon as I heard that I was able to interrupt and simply say not interested, please stop calling this number. That's as much as I intend to say if I get any further calls. The volume of future calls will determine whether I decide to complain to the relevant authorities.

I use talk talk, no bother with them, cheap calls and no problems...

They are the only phone company to call me since I registered that I did not want such calls. They have called me again today. Each time they say that they will take my name off the list, but never do.

Is there any point in complaining to ComReg

I would not have anything to do with Talk Talk or their owners The Car Phone Warehouse.

Brendan

Brendan said:
They are the only phone company to call me since I registered that I did not want such calls. They have called me again today. Each time they say that they will take my name off the list, but never do.
The complaint should be to the Data Protection Commissioner. I'm not sure if it's worth the bother as the laws are biased in favour of the marketeers and the government deliberately keeps the DPC under-resourced.

Best measure is to make sure all your friends & relatives know how your rights have been breached by TalkTalk & their aggressive sales pitches.

The last time I was harrassed by Talk Talk (who've phoned about 25 times), they wanted me to phone another number to get taken off the list. They gave me some kind of spiel that the people making the calls didn't actually work for TalkTalk, they're a 3rd-party call-centre and that I'd have to phone TalkTalk.

I pointed out that A) Talk Talk had obtained my personal details without my permission. B) They'd passed them on to a third party without my permission. C) That as far as I was concerned the if the person calling me could take my details to sign me up to TalkTalk, they could also take me off their list.

Brendan said:
data protection job that, www.dataprivacy.ie

normally no because Comreg are useless. You have a narrow channel to complain about though

1. check the caller id
2. ring the number
3. ask to escalate to supervisor

if 2 and 3 are not possible then Carphone warehouse are in breach of whats called the CPS Guidelines set by Comreg , CPS being how calls are routed into them. A spoof caller ID or a non answer on the number you got by caller ID is a gross breach.

I would not have anything to do with Talk Talk or their owners The Car Phone Warehouse.
I know their sales manager and I concur !

I recently got a cold call from the Carphone Warehouse at 9.30 on a Satuday morning. I told them that they should not be ringing me as I had opted out of unsolicited calls in the National Database (NDD). His reply was "Well it obviously didn't work, did it!" I'd stear clear with a attitude like that!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back