Illegal alloys on car??

C

Coyote

My better half got on the wrong side of an already narky and stressed out ban-garda directing traffic the other day, after reading him the riot act she said that he was lucky she wasn't going to do him for an illegal windscreen, illegal alloys and illegal exhaust. She's spot on about the exhaust but we're confused about the alloys? We bought the car with them, they're gold subaru alloys - anyone know is she correct and why? The windscreen we're also a little unsure about, the back window is v. slightly tinted so we assume this is what she means?

If the alloys are not the original factory fit, you may need to specify this with your insurer, but to say they are illegal is probably stretching it and baffles me also. Likewise with the windscreen, is it original factory fit and unmodified? If so, she's talking bull*****. If the back window is tinted, then from front view the windscreen may appear a little dark, and this may have "confused" her.

Factory fit

As far as I'm aware the alloys are original factory fit, normal 5 spoke, only different thing about them is their colour - gold, that's all. No comments were made on them when the car passed the NCT test ok. Windscreen is also original factory fit apart from the slight tinting to the back window. She was desperate to find things wrong with the car and when himself said 'he bought the car like that', she said she couldn't give a bleep bleep if he bought it with a spaceship on the top of it, it was illegal and that was that!

Re: Factory fit

Bottom line, she didn't do him, did she? Presumably because there was nothing illegal about the car?? Presumably it was a WRX?? Red rags and bulls spring to mind! Forget about her and happy motoring.

Re

Yes it's a WRX, and no she didn't do him for anything thankfully :)

Likewise with the windscreen, is it original factory fit and unmodified?

In the UK it is illegal to have tinting greater than 30% - it is probably the same here.

There is a thread about this over on boards.ie.

AFAIK if a windscreen is more than a 1/4 covered by a stick -on sun screen, this is also illegal.

Back