Illegal activities of estate agents etc.-Primetime 10.12.06

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remix

From the Indo:

AN RTE Prime Time Investigates programme to be broadcast (Monday) is set to expose some of the worst activities of Ireland's estate agents.

Some ol' favourites to be covered:

One insider is seen saying: "I actually witnessed one situation where there were two false bidders, there was one, there's a couple of genuine bidders, but there was a couple of false ones as well - on different sides of the room, so the auctioneer could look from side to side in the room and it worked very successfully. It got the prices up very quickly, everyone got involved in the bidding . . . it worked extremely well."

'Prime Time Investigates' RTE1, Monday, 9.30pm

Re: Illegal activities of estate agents - TV program.

Nothing illegal about taking a bid 'off the wall' up to the reserve price.

Nothing illegal about taking a bid 'off the wall' up to the reserve price.

what you are saying is bannanas....nothing illegal.

It's quite clearly in contravention of the anti-competitive laws in place eu wide, not to mention Mifid.

So the auctionner can set the reserve at 20 times the market price of the house and still be within the law!....

Pure madness.

Can anyone tell me if they know of any auctionner that has a qualification that they had to study for?

what you are saying is bannanas....nothing illegal.

Maybe, but still true.

Can anyone tell me if they know of any auctionner that has a qualification that they had to study for?

Actually, yes, I do know of a few.

[broken link removed]

are ya having a laff...

come on, wheres the qualification affiliated with, UCD, UCC, TCD...DIT...any of the Institutes...

Comes from the IPAV....no offence to the course, but that smacks of croneyism...

is it a course that the CAO recognise...Nope!

Since when does a particluar level of education/qualification imply any particular level of honesty etc.?

You asked

I gave you an example.

Happy?

Do Auctioneers and Mortgage Brokers share information?

education doesn't convey honesty, that is true,

what education shows is the level of skill required to do a job to a certain standard. It displays an inherent ability and level fo training that is a prequisite for a position.

Does any classify this as a profession?....would any one classify this as a procession?

does anyone here trust auctioneers?

and of course i acknowledge that there is some very helpful and honest auctioneers out there, i am talking generalities!

Crooked EAs Primetime 10.12.06

When I was growing up in the 60s, Estate Agents used to be called Auctioneers - the more pretentious ones called themselves "Auctioneers and Valuers" and added on letters like MIAVI to give credibility.

In my youthful mind I always equated them with the "gombeen men" I heard about at school, who sounded really sinister, and, as Yeats described, those who "fumble in the greasy till".

They're still with us.

Re: Crooked EAs Primetime 10.12.06

Evidence there of an industry that needs a good shake by external bodies-self regulation is not working!
It is unhealthy that many EA's are linked, or affiliated to, Mortgage brokers as there is a conflict of interest if giving financial advice to a potential buyer of a property that they have on their books.

On the Late Late the other night, some senator registeres as an auctioneer to show how easy it was to become one.

He just paid a €12.5k fee, stood in front of a judge who asked a garda if he had any objections of him becoming an auctioneer, once the garda said no, he became an auctioneer and srtup his own office.

Simple as that, no qualifications needed.

Prime time exposed the majority(as whistleblowers say) of them ghost bidding for properties to the detriment of buyers especially.

Never trust an industry that is not regulated.

Thank God, I'm not looking to buy a home any time soon. I'd be frightened to venture in to a mortgage broker or estate agent office.
I wonder would an expose of this sort on prime time TV have a major effect on the sentinment of the house buying public out there.
Would it prompt many to keep renting or just to build an extension instead of being fleeced by going back in to the house market.

I hope that I've expressed myself in such a way that it isn't objectionable to the moderators while still keeping my post relevant to the topic at hand which is the discussion of the consequences of Estate Agent's illegal activities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back