Ikea Pump dispenser: How to fix it to make it pump liquid soap?

NicolaM

Hi
Any technologically/mechanically minded people around?
I've got this set for my bathroom http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/products/90081389
The problem is getting the pumping mechanism to work reliably.
I have to press the pump dispenser MANY times to get soap out: It seems like there is a loss in the vacuum in it when it isn't used for a few hours, and then the soap needs to be primed through the system again.
I've tried various variations of trying to move the rubber seal around, but the same thing still happens.
Any suggestions as to how to fix it.
I'm not going to return it to Ikea as it's too much trouble, and the set is quite pretty besides.

Thanks

Nicola
(Ps I know this is a small problem, but it's annoying!)

is it a very thin soap mix?

i've had different types of dispenser but never had this problem.

have you checked that the hose is properly secured into the top of the unit? maybe if there was air entering the hose it wouldn't hold it's suction.

Thanks Woodbine.
I've checked the seal, and the hose bit, all seem secure, and I can't see any holes in the piping.
It does seem like a loss of suction, but I can't figure out how to stop it.
Usually there is an air bubble at the top of the tube of these things when the pipe is primed, but the air bubble in this seems to go back out again.
Hmm.
This might be an insolvable one.

Nicola

As it says in the instructions (picture of puzzled man in overalls on telephone), ring the store. I had a problem trying to get kitchen drawers off their sliders to remove them and I rang the number on the website and they were very helpful.

I think I'd be too embarrassed..:eek:
It's a fairly cheap item, with pretty much no self assembly required..Possibly it's just a faulty seal

I just hate to be beaten by things like this!

Nicola

Thanks Woodbine.
I've checked the seal, and the hose bit, all seem secure, and I can't see any holes in the piping.
It does seem like a loss of suction, but I can't figure out how to stop it.
Usually there is an air bubble at the top of the tube of these things when the pipe is primed, but the air bubble in this seems to go back out again.
Hmm.
This might be an insolvable one.

Nicola

that sucks.

sorry, couldn't resist. :D

anyway, could you replace the dispenser top with one off an old dispenser?

Cannae do.
I don't have another pumpy thing.

I guess I'd have made a bad engineer
:D

Back