IKEA Kitchen - Installation Issues

polo1

Hi

I know there has been a lot of threads on this subject (which were very helpful thanks!) but I have a question around the Installation of an Ikea Kitchen I am just about to (in the next 2 months) buy my kitchen from IKEA, bring it over and get it installed by a local carpenter ... My sister who lives in the UK is just about to do the same - the builder who is working in her house has just told her that their is problems with installing IKEA Kitchens because they are "european" and not suited to the UK standard.
My question is has anyone here installed an IKEA kitchen and if so did they have any major issues with the installation of it? My feeling is that the guy wants her to buy the kitchen through him which indoubtly is costing £2000+ more than the price quoted by IKEA themselves...

I'd appreciate any comments, Ta

Given the queues in the UK for IKEA products including kitchens I would be surprised. I was there two weeks ago and they also sell appliances with their kitchens which looked standard. As well as answers here which you will get, ring IKEA their customer service line I found to be be pretty good.

They have a kitchen designer tool on their website see if that raises any redflags. Here's the link to all things kitchen in IKEA

http://www.ikea.com/ms/en_GB/complete_kitchen_guide/kitchen_guide/index.html

BTW - Please post the outcome.

I Know two people who have had Ikea kitchens installed, no problems at all.

Hi Polo1,

Had an IKEA kitchen installed at home about 6 months ago and really happy with it. The only risk I think you can have it measuring your kitchen, its very important that you get this correct to start with. Once you have the correct measurement you then start to plan your kitchen, IKEA have a piece of software that allows you to do this. We also did our own plan writing in the measurements and the product codes for each piece. You don’t want to order your kitchen and find out you have missed something so this is the most foolproof way we could find. When your kitchen arrives check it and double check it to ensure you have received everything. We did have some problems such as the microwave was build it but the surround would not fit on the microwave once it was installed but between myself and the carpenter we cam up with a solution. DO note installing these kitchens can take a considerably long time according to our carpenter. he had been recommended to us by Woodworkers and quoted us a day and a half for installation it ended up taking him almost 4 days. He said there were lots if tricky bits to contend with that you usually would not find in a standard kitchen. Again well worth the pain for the savings we made and the finished product.

Best of luck.

We installed an IKEA kitchen in our previous house. Did all the work ourselves and it was very easy. Measure, measure and measure again though, and triple check that you have all the bits that should come with the units.

Diziet said:
We installed an IKEA kitchen in our previous house. Did all the work ourselves and it was very easy. Measure, measure and measure again though, and triple check that you have all the bits that should come with the units.

And when measuring don't get your imperial and metric mixed up!

Back