Ikea in dublin

SHIELDSni

Hi All,

as a quick bit of research will show i'm involved in home delivery and specifically ikea amongst others. The 27th July is getting closer, preperations for dublin are well underway and I suppose i'd like to get some general feedback as to whether people will continue to flock north with the Euro so strong against the sterling?
(evidentally pricing will have a big impact)

With this being a money saving orientated site i can guess some of the answers, just keen to hear what the general concensus is?

It depends on whether they conver £ to € using the correct rate & whether they use the 25%-50% like the UK stores are conning us with

I heard a radio interview with an Ikea rep a month or so ago. The interviewer specifically asked would the prices be higher than their UK stores. The Ikea guy said (I'm paraphrasing here) that the prices would be in accordance with the Irish market, and if people wanted lower prices they were free to continue to travel to Belfast.

I don't have a car so I'd have to get big stuff delivered. Between time spent traveling, delivering costs from Belfast to Dublin, any price savings is likely to be whittled down. Besides, I would like to support local jobs.

I think that the prices will be a bit more expensive in Dublin, but when you take the cost of petrol/diesel or the delivery charge from Belfast, it will probably be much the same.

My biggest problem with IKEA is availabilty of stock. So many times I have visited UK / Belfast to find that the storeroom hasn't the piece of furniture that I want. I guess it will be easier to visit Dublin and buy if in stock albeit for a dearer price. If I was buying £400 worth of stock in Belfast and it cost €600 here I would travel North.

Maybe if the conversion rate changes drastically but at the moment £400 is only about €450.

I think we will still travel North.I was up there friday and the price differences in the likes of B&Q,Toys'r'us and Sainsburys are astonishing.I can't see Ikea keeping their Dublin prices on a par with Belfast unfortunately.

You would be surprised - I for one will go to the Dublin store - IKEA know fine well that if they dont keep prices somewhat similar they will loose business - and dont doubth that they will ahve put a huge investment into the DUblin branch and will all that is going on they will not want to loose business to the North..

You must remember as well IKEA is a very tight and well run shop, all buying is done centrally so if there are discounts in the UK we should get them..

I would expect a slight increase in prices - but no more than 5%...

hi all,

thanks for the feedback, it's an interesting discussion to view and i hope it continues!

from a neutral point of view the hardest thing i see with everything is that you can't really compare like for like due to the huge change in the exchange rate. 12-18 months ago the comparative difference in minimum wage was about 5%, now it's grown to around 40% purely because the sterling is so weak. it's a difficult one......

My biggest problem with IKEA is availabilty of stock. So many times I have visited UK / Belfast to find that the storeroom hasn't the piece of furniture that I want. I guess it will be easier to visit Dublin and buy if in stock albeit for a dearer price. If I was buying £400 worth of stock in Belfast and it cost €600 here I would travel North.

You can check the stock for the store online - it gives the stock level for the current date and an estimation for the next few days.

You can check the stock for the store online - it gives the stock level for the current date and an estimation for the next few days.

I've been caught out on this before xeresod, apparently if the amount shown on the website goes below 3 then you can't count on there being any. And of course the amounts shown for the next few days reflect expected demand, which isn't always accurate. And also sometimes the website shows how many of an item are in stock but doesn't specify the colour (especially with smaller items) so they might have hundreds of items almost but not quite like the one you're looking for :(

1. I expect that , llike all new Ikea stores, it will be exteremely crowded for the first while - which is a reason for me to go north.

2. Not everything in the catalogue is on the website - very annoying! eg cheap & cheerful sofabeds for kids room for sleepovers.

I've been caught out on this before xeresod, apparently if the amount shown on the website goes below 3 then you can't count on there being any. And of course the amounts shown for the next few days reflect expected demand, which isn't always accurate. And also sometimes the website shows how many of an item are in stock but doesn't specify the colour (especially with smaller items) so they might have hundreds of items almost but not quite like the one you're looking for :(

ditto

I think ultimately it will depend what you want to buy - if you are decking out your whole kitchen savings up north could be quite big - if it was only a few items then again you take time, petrol and convince into account I think I would use Dublin.

I don't think they'll will drop according to the sterling as they are a European company and deal everywhere else (obviously not UK) in Euro.

I agree with Traceybere - we wouldn't be going there to buy huge amounts of things - more to browse and pick up one or two smaller things, so wouldn't have gone North for such a small shop anyway. If you're in the market for furnishing whole rooms, or buying a new kitchen/bathroom etc. I would imagine people are still more likely to go North...

M

Back