If you fixed with AIB since September 2017, you should be able to break free of charge

RedOnion

Frequent Poster
This applies specifically to AIB, and not EBS / Haven.

If anyone has followed my posts on fixed break fees, you will know that AIB calculate fixed break fees different to other lenders. I have a different interpretation of legislation than they have, but there are some scenarios where it works in customers favour.

An interesting question was asked last week from a poster who is on a 3 year fixed rate with AIB (fixed after rate reduction in September). They wanted to break and fix for a different term. My advice was AIB cannot charge a break fee, following their own rules.

Explanation:

AIB fixed rates are currently:
1 year: 3.2%
2 year: 3.2%
3 year: 3.2%

Because AIB base their fixed rate break fees on the difference between the rate customer is on, and the rate AIB can charge for the remaining term, it means that they cannot charge a break fee for someone who fixed for 2 or 3 years since the last rate change in September, unless they reduce the interest rates for shorter terms.

For example if someone fixed for 3 years, they are paying 3.2%. They request break fee. AIB look at 2 year rate, which is 3.2%, so there's no break fee.

This applies to breaking interest rate to switch to variable, or to make an early repayment. So if, since September, you fixed for 2 or 3 years, and now regret it, or want to make overpayments, you should be able to break for free.

Please post if you've been quoted a break fee, in the circumstances above. Either zero or otherwise so we can confirm this practice.

Last edited:
Hi Red

That is great. I have edited the title so that people affected might notice it.

Has anyone actually done this in practice to confirm that AIB is doing it this way?

But let's be clear. This does not excuse AIB from doing in incorrectly. If someone had fixed for 3 years with any other bank, they would not be paying a break fee either. Is that correct?

Brendan

But let's be clear. This does not excuse AIB from doing in incorrectly.
Absolutely agree. They are doing it wrong.
But this is one way it goes against them.

If someone had fixed for 3 years with any other bank, they would not be paying a break fee either. Is that correct?
There might be a minimal break fee depending on rate movements. It'd be the difference between 3 & 2 year interbank rates. 2 year hovers around zero, and 3 year is positive. It could be up to about 0.4% of balance (400 per 100,000).

Has anyone actually done this in practice to confirm that AIB is doing it this way?
I've added a question to opening post. If they're not, it blows up their break calculation argument.

Back