If you find that your post has been blocked by Askaboutmoney...

Brendan Burgess

Founder
A poster reported getting this error message.

1) The most likely reason is that you are a new user trying to post a link. We don't allow new users to post links. (This is to stop spammers)
2) If you have not posted a link, check your post for spammish type words.

We have not changed anything but there are spam filters in place which might have been updated in the background.

Usually if people use bad language or some very common spam words such as f itness , they are replaced by *****

3) Try a simple test post to see if you can post an ordinary post without a link. If you can, then it's something to do with your content.

Brendan

Last edited:
If you can identify the phrase please describe it here for others to know to avoid it.

It might be possible to reproduce the word with a gap between two of the letters.

Brendan

I have got this on my last two posts, in one I was quoting @SBarrett and including in my reply, his bluewaterfp sig link, which I had to remove to actually complete my post.

I didn't figure out the issue on the other one.

Hi
That is very useful information to help us identify the problem.

It looks as if posting links is causing you a problem.

You might be classified as a "new user" which is odd as your status shows you as a Registered User.

Could you reply to this post and include a link to some external site and see what happens.

Thanks

Brendan

I am a relatively new user, maybe it is time related?

I tried to post a link to a google search and I got the spam message, I had to remove to post it.

Any URL that is linked to a word caused the error.

text of two words seems to be ok, e.g.
google.ie works.

any text that starts with www and is followed by a . doesn't work.

e.g
www . google . ie doesn't work (without spaces obviously)
www . google doesnt'work
www . doesn't work
one.two.three works
one.two.com works.

Last edited:
I am a relatively new user, maybe it is time related?

That might be it. I have it set that a person gets moved from New User to Registered User after 10 posts and two days, so it shouldn't be the cause. But I must have it set up incorrectly.

Would you mind posting a few links which do actually work. It would be easier to check.

Brendan

I don't have that many posts, but I was trying to post links to the Revenue and UK HMRC websites and couldn't get them to work. (They're both quite useful on a forum concerning money...)

Hi Qwerty

Can you post any links at all?

AGL says he can post some, could you try these:

www . google . ie doesn't work (without spaces obviously)
www . google doesnt'work
www . doesn't work
one.two.three works
one.two.com works.

Guys would you mind also trying to send me a private message. Click on the envelope in the top right hand side.

If you can't do this, then it might indicate the source of the problem.

Brendan

Not blocked but :

I tried to use the phrase "************************* use" and we don't approve of the word f l a w l e s s. I get ************** instead of a harmless word, "harmlessness" is not banned, which seems inconsistent with whatever triggers the filter. Obsequiousness, conversationless, cantankerousness, flawlessness,

Must be fixed since Sunday last. Part of the problem is that the filter only triggers after you post and not as you type. Could that be changed?

Hi Mathepac

There is a lot of spam for products which will make your complexion *************************. So that is why the word is censored.

It's not a word which is used that often on askaboutmoney. So it's not too much asking people to edit it as f lawless.

Having said that, our new support company has improved the spam detection mechanism, so I might experiment with removing some of the words.

Brendan

I can't send you a PM brendan.

I click on the envelope, and there is no option to send a private message.
"You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action." on viewing your profile page

Sorry for confusion, I can't post any real link.

I can write some two words seperated by a dot, which looks like a link, but nobody can click on it, as it not a link.
i.e. the software is attempting to prevent me to enter an unlinked website name, or any clickable link.

google.ie
aspamsite.com

Hi Brendan, I am also not able to post a link in the forum. These are not external links, but just the links of threads from this forum.

Back