"If we have proper LTV restrictions, LTI restrictions are unnecessary" - Ronan Lyons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brendan Burgess

Founder
From Ronan Lyons's submission which is attached

In relation to LTI restrictions, however, there is no clear theoretical justication. Whereas there is an obvious market failure and externality by failing to limit leverage, it is clearly in the interest of financial institutions to assess the affordability of the mortgage in any case. It is not clear what LTI restrictions will bring over and above the impact of LTV restrictions. If the wider impact of the LTI restriction was neutral, the case could be made for both measures but there are negative side-effects of LTI restrictions, theoretically.

The first relates to capital markets. As proposed, limiting the ratio of the total mortgage to total gross household income is an extremely blunt tool.
It is ignorant of two features: the user cost regime (in particular interest rates) and spatial variation (discussed below). The average nominal mortgage interest rate in the decade to 1995 was over 10%, compared to less than 4% in the decade to 2012. This has a huge impact on affordability, above and beyond a simple LTI ratio. In particular, a much higher ratio of debt to income is possible in a regime where interest rates are low.

Some have argued that it would be possible to correct for this issue, by instead using a maximum ratio of the mortgage repayment (suitably stress tested) relative to disposable income. This still misses significant considerations, by conflating the mortgage for the total input costs of day-to-day life.
Consider a household making the choice between two homes of comparable size. One, however, is closer to where the family work and go to school,
and is also more energy efficient. While its mortgage repayment of e1,400 is above the maximum threshold relative to its disposable monthly income, the
family would be better off in that house than in the other home, where they would need to spend e1,100 a month on the mortgage plus an additional
e350 on petrol and e100 on domestic energy bills.

Under an LTV restriction, a household merely has to save 10% more to afford a house that offers lower energy or petrol bills, which is justified due
to the externality costs of excessive leverage. Under an LTI restriction, a household with a set income will never have the option of buying such a
house.

Even switching to monthly disposable income, rather than gross income, the LTI restriction disincentivizes healthy investment. In practical terms, LTI
will lead to greater sprawl and congestion (as well as greater fuel consumption), as it does not distinguish between what are in effect close substitutes:
additional mortgage debt compared to additional petrol or energy bills.

Spatial issues

It is possible to argue that the LTI could be tweaked even to deal with these issues, by calculating the combined burden of mortgage debt and fuel/energy
costs associated with a particular property, presumably against a higher maximum ratio relative to monthly disposable income. Even if such a complicated
system were introduced, however, it remains ignorant of the huge variation in house values around the country and the (healthy) reasons for this.
Currently, in the Irish housing market, hedonic regressions indicate that there is a 15-fold variation the price of the same dwelling { a three-bed
semi-detached house { around the country. Whereas the value of a three bed semi-detached house in Roscommon in late 2014 is below e50,000, the
value of the same dwelling in parts of South County Dublin is over e700,000. The variation in property market values is far greater than the variation
in household incomes, which { for comparable households { is closer to 50% than 1500%. Indeed, for certain sectors, in particular the public sector, there
is no variation in wages between like-for-like households.

This huge variation in values, compared to incomes, is entirely healthy. Households with comparable incomes and comparable space requirements
have the opportunity to choose different bundles of amenities. A particularly important amenity for many households is access to a thick labour market,
and for many households, the depth of consumption amenities offered by urban centres is of great value, thus proximity to larger cities is important.
But such considerations are not important for all, hence a fraction of the population chooses to live in rural locations.

Practically speaking, however, this means that an LTI restriction can never be binding across all segments of the market. Taking round numbers for
simplicity, suppose the typical first-time-buyer household earns e50,000 and they are looking for a three-bedroom semi-detached home. If a maximum LTI
of 3.5 is in place, this means their mortgage can be no more than e175,000 and the price of the home they buy can be no more than e220,000 (assuming
a 20% deposit). This is useless, both in the large parts of the country where three-bedroom semi-detached properties are worth less than half that limit
and a different kind of useless in parts of Dublin where the same home is worth more than twice that limit. Whereas the LTV is a clear measure of
leverage (and thus a maximum LTV is protection from leverage), the LTI is an arbitrary limit.

Attachments

• Ronan Lyons - CBI Mortgage limit consultation.pdf
    193.9 KB · Views: 17
Whereas the LTV is a clear measure of
leverage (and thus a maximum LTV is protection from leverage), the LTI is an arbitrary limit.
I understand the arguements against LTI limits and would fully agree that this is a blunt instrument that does not take individual circumstances (particularly affordability) into account. However it would work in the contaxt of using the limit as a broad filter where exceptions need to be addressed under a higher level of scrutiny. This would work!
I have no idea what he means by the above phrase! Yes LTV is a clear measure of leverage! However leverage risk reflects the risk that the property sale will not meet the outstanding loan balance. I.e. It only comes into play in the event that a lender will progress to enforce a sale of the underlying security. So in the event of a 20% drop in value of the security in the early years of the loan (i.e. before loan amount is reduced through repayments to a lower level) then the value of the property should be sufficient to cover the mortgage. However, why 20%. Why not 10% or even 30% or perhaps 50% to cover the risk of a calamity like 2007/08 recurring? These figures are arbitrary and in my view a 10% figure should suffice! Or as I said previously any additional risk can be covered by MII.

I am trying to get my head around Ronan's arguments. It seems so counterintuitive. But as it challenges the views of the vast majority, it is well worth considering.

Let's look at his example:

Taking round numbers for simplicity, suppose the typical first-time-buyer household earns e50,000 and they are looking for a three-bedroom semi-detached home. If a maximum LTI
of 3.5 is in place, this means their mortgage can be no more than e175,000 and the price of the home they buy can be no more than e220,000 (assuming
a 20% deposit). This is useless, both in the large parts of the country where three-bedroom semi-detached properties are worth less than half that limit
and a different kind of useless in parts of Dublin where the same home is worth more than twice that limit. Whereas the LTV is a clear measure of
salary| €50,000
Mortgage - 3.5 times salary|€175k
Deposit - 20% |€45k
House price|€220K
This seems about right to me. Someone on a salary of €50k with a deposit of €45k could afford a house of around €220k max.

If they are working in Leitrim, they will have a choice of houses. If they are working in Dublin, they will have to buy an apartment.

I think Ronan's error here is that this person is looking at a three bed house. They can't look at a three bed house in Dublin. They could buy one and commute, but they would have huge petrol bills.

Let's say you look at LTV only - assuming 20% is the correct figure.

Deposit| €20k|€40k|€60k
Can buy a house for|€100k|€200k|€300k
Taking this to the extreme, a student who inherits €60k could buy a house for €300k if there was no LTI limit. I presume that Ronan is not suggesting this?

Excellent submission from Ronan Lyons IMO.

His key point, as I read it, is that the proposed LTI limit is a poor proxy for affordability at a household level and the proposed LTV limit will adequately address the macro, systemic concerns.

I hope I'm wrong, but I suspect we will end up with a higher LTV ratio for FTBs with the crude LTI level left in place for all borrowers. This seems to me to be the worst of both worlds but I guess time will tell...

His key point, as I read it, is that the proposed LTI limit is a poor proxy for affordability at a household level and the proposed LTV limit will adequately address the macro, systemic concerns.

So in line with BrendanB's post above (which I agree with) LTV should be a substitute for LTI. i.e taking affordability of loan repayments totally out of the equation!!
There may be some logic behind Ronans proposals, but I just don't see it. Also his web-site is down so I can't even question his conclusions directly.

I will try to summarise his arguments

1) "In relation to LTI restrictions, however, there is no clear theoretical justication."

I don't think that this is correct. The Central Bank studies show that those who borrow a bigger multiple of their incomes have had a higher default rate in the past. True, they probably had a higher LTV as well. So it could be that LTI is not a cause of default.

Of course,there have to be some limits. 3.5 might be too low. But presumably a lender should not give 10 times the income.

It's the same for a landlord assessing a tenant. If the landlord is letting a house for €5,000 a month, presumably he won't let it to someone working on minimum wage.

2) "a much higher ratio of debt to income is possible in a regime where interest rates are low."

Agreed. But not an unlimited ratio.

It might be that 3.5 is appropriate now but could be lowered later when interest rates rise.

3) "LTI will lead to greater sprawl and congestion (as well as greater fuel consumption), as it does not distinguish between what are in effect close substitutes: additional mortgage debt compared to additional petrol or energy bills."

This is an interesting point.

salary| €50,000|€50,000
Multiple|3.5|3.5
Mortgage |€175k |€175k
Deposit - 20% |€45k|€45k
House price|€220K |€220k
Repayments over 30 years @4%|€835|€835
Energy and commuting costs|€400 |€100
The LTI should be raised for the second guy. But again, having LTI limits is appropriate, it's just you would lower them for someone with huge commuting and energy costs.

4) "[an LTI limit] ignores the huge variation in house values around the country and the (healthy) reasons for this. Prices for a three bed house vary between €50k in Roscommon and €750k in South County Dublin"

So what? Clearly someone earning €50k cannot afford to buy a house for €750k with an 80% mortgage, so they can't afford to live in a three bed in South County Dublin. They can afford to live in Roscommon. In fact, at a LTI of 1, the LTV might be irrelevant.

"Taking round numbers for
simplicity, suppose the typical first-time-buyer household earns e50,000 and they are looking for a three-bedroom semi-detached home. If a maximum LTI
and a different kind of useless in parts of Dublin where the same home is worth more than twice that limit."

"This is useless, both in the large parts of the country where three-bedroom semi-detached properties are worth less than half that limit" No it's not useless. It tells the lender and the borrower that they can comfortably afford the mortgage.

"a different kind of useless in parts of Dublin where the same home is worth more than twice that limit" Again, it's not useless. It tells the person that they can't afford a three house in most parts of Dublin. So they either buy a smaller house in Dublin or a three-bed elsewhere.

Does complying with an 80% LTV imply compliance with a reasonable LTI limit?

It will do in many cases, but abandoning the LTI limit would cause problems in many cases.

Say someone on the minimum has received an inheritance of €100,000, they could borrow €400,000. But they would not be able to service it on the minimum wage.

Come to think of it, that used to be the policy of the Irish Nationwide and other sub-prime lenders. If the security was good enough, they would give out large loans at premium interest rates on the grounds that they would always be able to repossess.

I think we may be talking at cross purposes here.

Affordability clearly should be the key metric in assessing any individual loan application and I don't believe anybody is suggesting otherwise. However, I think Ronan Lyons is arguing that LTI is too arbitrary to act as a proxy for affordability as it does not encompass other factors that should be critical to a rigorous underwriting process. He takes this argument further by suggesting that LTI limits (as a substitute for a more thorough affordability analysis) could have further negative impacts.

However, the Central Bank should be concerned with the macro/aggregate position of the banking and household sectors as a whole and not simply with the underwriting process in respect of individual loans (in order to avoid the re-emergence of systemic risk arising from excessive pro-cyclical leverage within these critical sectors of the economy). The argument is that the proposed LTV limits, while admittedly somewhat crude, are a better lever for achieving these objectives than the proposed LTI limits.

My understanding that LTV limits at an institutional level are a relatively common prudential tool employed by regulators internationally whereas LTI limits are far less common. That obviously is not a conclusive argument in favour of any particular course of action but it does provide a degree of international experience that the Central Bank can draw upon in framing its final requirements.

I think we may be talking at cross purposes here.

Affordability clearly should be the key metric in assessing any individual loan application and I don't believe anybody is suggesting otherwise. However, I think Ronan Lyons is arguing that LTI is too arbitrary to act as a proxy for affordability

Hi Sarenco

That is the strange thing. I think he is arguing that affordability should not be a metric.

You can read his full paper here

Some have argued that it would be possible to correct for [the bluntness of the LTI approach], by instead using a maximum ratio of the mortgage repayment (suitably stress tested) relative to disposable income. This still misses signicant considera-tions, by conflating the mortgage for the total input costs of day-to-day life.

It is possible to argue that the LTI could be tweaked even to deal with these issues, by calculating the combined burden of mortgage debt and fuel/energy costs associated with a particular property, presumably against a higher maximum ratio relative to monthly disposable income.

Even if such a complicated system were introduced, however, it remains ignorant of the huge variation in house values around the country and the (healthy) reasons for this.
I read this to mean that LTV on its own is an adequate measure. Which is why I was so surprised by it.

His paper overall is excellent. It's just this bit that seems so wrong.

I think that he has a blind spot on affordability.
Brendan

The analysis undertaken in Lyons & Muellbauer (2014) suggests that a five percentage point reduction in the typical loan-to-value ratio offered to first-time buyers (e.g. from 85% to 80%) would reduce house price, relative to rents, by ten percentage points.

LTV rather than LTI is just one of the issues that I find perplexing. The above statement also causes me some difficulty! Why would there be a co-relation between rents and FTB's? Is there a relationship between house prices as PDH's and rents? In my view only on the basis that the associated costs of mortgage payments and rental costs are measured. So what RL is saying is that a reduction in the LTV requirements by banks from 90% to 85% would result in a 10% reduction in residential property prices. OK I may be a little dim at times but I can't associate these 3 factors and the proposed consequence.
I don't actually have the Lyons & Muellbauer (2014) analysis referred to by Ronan and perhaps if I did all would be made clear!

That is the strange thing. I think he is arguing that affordability should not be a metric.
I think that he has a blind spot on affordability.

Hi Brendan

I think you may be misreading the submission.

In the final paragraph, Ronan states:

"Affordability on a month-to-month basis is a key concern of financial institutions. Excessive leverage at a systemic level is the concern of policymakers. The Central Bank's efforts should be exclusively on loan-to-value measures, not loan-to-income ones, for the reasons outlined above."

In other words, as I read his submission, Ronan is not suggesting that affordability should be ignored by banks in arriving at individual underwriting decisions but rather that LTI limits (as a proxy for affordability at a macro level) is not a useful tool from a macro-prudential perspective. That is not to say that the Central Bank shouldn't be reviewing the underwriting policies or practices of individual lenders as part of its supervisory function.

I personally found his arguments persuasive with regard to the inappropriateness of LTI limits as the basis for addressing systemic risks and I think it would be a counter-productive and arbitrary if the proposed LTV limit was reduced for certain cohorts of borrowers.

Hi Sarenco

I think he wrote it in a hurry, because it lacks the clarity of his other writing.

I think he is gone on holidays, but I will ask him to clarify.

Brendan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back