If someone writes blatant lies as part of a planning application is this libel?

triciamonty

if during a planning application process a person sees fit to write blatant lies on an objection to the p .a,is this libel? .what course of action is there for such a situation ? .

Last edited:
To be defamatory

It has to be untrue and it has to lower the standing of the defamed person in the eyes of the ordinary member of the public.

As submissions to the planning authorities are not that widely read, I doubt if you have been seriously defamed. Now if a major newspaper published it, then you would have a more serious case.

Brendan

They can be accessed by members of the public and in a lot of cases they can be read online free of charge.

The fact that they are not widely read would not make the libel any less severe.

Thanks for your replies, the planning was granted by the council but now this person has lodged an appeal with an bord planala. In effect he is writing that any thing that was submitted by applicant is a lie. Also approaching relatives of applicant in a pub and being pretty verbal . p.s known locally as a very awkward bully boy type of person.

Last edited by a moderator:
Update on submission to an bord plaenala: this same person has written more comments, very untrue and personal comments. Now i know such remarks are viewed as frivolous by the board but what would a solicitor think? any opinions?

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems to me that if the Local Authority has published on their website libellous or defamatory information about you, then your main right of redress is against them as publishers rather than against the individual who initiated the comments.

I don't think they would be liable.
They would if the material is defamatory or at least they would share liability. An objector is entitled to disagree with any aspect of the applicant's submission but would not be entitled to cast aspersions on another's character without risking defamation. Slim

I was thinking along the lines of a defence of privilege for the council.

Late coming to this - some light reading

DEFAMATION ACT 2009

[broken link removed]

ONQ.

Heard of ombudsman case against a county council for publishing a defamatory submission to a planning application on their website. Ombudsman found no maladministration and complainant received no compensation.

Back