If I apply for Invalidity Pension, can I retain..........

T

TakeThat0808

my illness benefit in the meantime?

Basically, I have been ill for over 10 years & have been on certs & illness benefit. I now want to apply for Invalidity Pension but am worried that if I do, my illnss benefit will be stopped as I cannot afford to be without the payment for even 1 week.

Also, when applying for invalidity pension, are you automatically called for a medical review or do the decide on the evidence provided?

Thanks for any advice anyone can offer.

Hi there

Just to let you know there is a long delay on invalidity pension applications at the moment. I am on illness benefit, applied for invalidity pension last November, and they have not yet looked at my application yet. They are dealing with priority cases first, i.e. people who are only entitled to illness benefit for 2 years and their payments are coming to an end.

I was called for a medical exam a few months ago, it did say in the letter that the exam was not only relevant to invalidity pension, but any other payment I might be on. They didnt find me fit for work, so still getting the illness benefit at the moment, and waiting for their decision.

Your illness benefit will continue until your Invalidity Pension claim is decided.

Depending on your situation, you may not have to undergo a medical exam, there may be enough documentation on your file to allow Invalidity Pension section to make their decision.

Thank you both. I will send in the form & see what happens.

Back