If convicted of illegal posession of a property what will happen to us?

W

workaholic

I've tried searching information via the internet and my search results have not provided me with the answers I'm looking for regarding the above.

My husband and I both lost our jobs in 2008 and decided to sell our family home. It was decided all around that it would be best if I moved into one of my brother in laws properties while my husband spent the next couple of years working in the UK, at least until we found ourselves in more stable financial circumstances.

My BIL did not want a lease agreement drawn up, nor did he want any money from us, his only objective was to get my husband; his younger brother back in good financial standing.

Over the past two years we've had little contact from my BIL or his wife who was complicit in having us stay at the property and had no problems what so ever with us being there.

Our solicitor has advised us that my BIL and his wife are filing for divorce and his wife is planning on suing myself and my husband for illegal possession of a property.

I realize we have no rights due to the fact we do not have a written lease agreement, only word of mouth. We are going to vacate the property immediately.

I don't get it .... you had permission to stay there ... what's the problem?

Talk to BIL .... get a letter from him to state you had permission to stay there.

Back