If a ball is kicked into neighbours garden is neighbour legally obliged to return it?

The psychology of getting on with your neighbours must be an interesting study. A garden creates a personal space that people living in higher density buildings don't enjoy. Persons in rural locations can yearn for human contact. Much better having contact with neighbours even if it is just a ball kicked into the garden than being dead for 6 months and no one noticing.

The psychology of getting on with your neighbours must be an interesting study. A garden creates a personal space that people living in higher density buildings don't enjoy. Persons in rural locations can yearn for human contact. Much better having contact with neighbours even if it is just a ball kicked into the garden than being dead for 6 months and no one noticing.
That brings to mind the old 17th century addage;

"Good fences make good neighbours"

:D

The father is as bad as the kids next door, I have seen him climb over for the ball when my wife was out with the car and he thought we were all out. They must have about 5 balls so they do not need to get them back straight away

There really is a simple and effective solution to this:-

Stick a webcam up against the upstairs window (It doesn't even have to be connected, it is only a deterrent but you can connect it if you think the warning wont work) as long as it is facing the back garden (works for front garden too)

Next, knock next door to your neighbour and give them their ball(s) back.
Tell the neighbour (Not the kids) you are returning their items, but be warned " I now have CCTV. If you, your children, or on their behalf are seen in my garden again, you will be breaking the law and I will prosecute to the full extent.

Add, You will give them back when you are good and ready. (record the conversation just in case there is an issue in future)

There really is a simple and effective solution to this:-

Stick a webcam up against the upstairs window (It doesn't even have to be connected, it is only a deterrent but you can connect it if you think the warning wont work) as long as it is facing the back garden (works for front garden too)

Next, knock next door to your neighbour and give them their ball(s) back.
Tell the neighbour (Not the kids) you are returning their items, but be warned " I now have CCTV. If you, your children, or on their behalf are seen in my garden again, you will be breaking the law and I will prosecute to the full extent.

Add, You will give them back when you are good and ready. (record the conversation just in case there is an issue in future)

It's six years ago, I'd expect the problem has been resolved and the kids are grown up by now to booth.

Its a perennial one this, I've had our cars damaged by balls coming in from neighbours, both are decent cars, the marks might buff out with a machine buffing but I doubt it, a heavy t cut and wax has failed to remove them, I return most balls, I am going to become the guy that does not return the balls, I don't want to be but nothing deters even after explaining that the balls are marking the cars.

I don't care about the balls coming over, I do care about them banging off our cars.

Tricky really, the kids should be able to play but also I should expect my property to be safe parked on my side.

Last edited:
Have this issue as well,and season has just kicked off! Kids come over the wall to retrieve the football if we are not around.I have often wondered about liability if a child is injured on the way in/out, or in my back garden.Should we have no trespassing sign up etc.

Tell the parents, nicely, you will have no choice but to charge them with trespass and criminal damage as you need to recover cost of damage to car. Might make parents take some responsibiity

"What about the little children?" demanded the adult who had just kicked a ball over the fence into my garden.

I asked him to get off the fence he was in the process of climbing over to get the ball back.

"Send whoever kicked it over around to the front door and ask for it back" I said. "With an apology and a nice please and thank you, just like I learned when I was young."

"You'll be waiting" sez yer man.

"You'll be waiting too" sez !, "if the dog ever finishes playing with it." Cue 53 kg Rottie appearing from the house sniffing said ball. His territory, his property; try persuading him otherwise.

We're talking about a childrens football being kicked into a back garden, not a scud missile attack from an unfriendly state. Grow up! Give them their ball back. It's great to see kids playing outdoors and not be cooped up being molly-coddled playing computer games and watching television.

Grow up! Give them their ball back.

em... a bit harsh Leper.

Footballs can cause a lot of damage. People have a right to enjoy their property in peace. People have a reasonable expectation that neighbours will respect their property.

Some people invest a lot of money in their cars and treat them with kid gloves. They like to keep them spick and span and polish them like mad.

Footballs carry grit and when they hit a car they leave a circular impression caused by the grit. Other people like to enjoy their back gardens and expect it to be out of harm's way.

A wayward ball can break glass, damage shrubs .... again, possibly, the home owner's pride and joy.

Nobody takes responsibility anymore. Nobody is stopping children from playing ball but being respecful of a neighbour's property should be high priority.

I politely advised footy to be played elsewhere (rather than against the fence of my back garden. That was ignored - and ultimately, that ball met with stanley blade before being returned in 2 halves.

Problem solved permanently.

One problem possibly solved, but there's an immediate risk of a bigger problem having been created with that sort of behavior.

I don't have any problem with balls coming over. And when I do see them I throw them back. And I don't mind kids coming in to retrieve balls either. And I most certainly will never go down the legal route or call the gardai about balls coming into my garden.

I'm with you 100%, unless there's a complete barrage of balls coming in and doing particular damage .... in which case, having a friendly word with those playing ball, maybe showing them what's happened etc. should resolve the issue. :)

We're talking about a childrens football being kicked into a back garden, not a scud missile attack from an unfriendly state. .....

:D :D :D

We're talking about a childrens football being kicked into a back garden, not a scud missile attack from an unfriendly state. Grow up! Give them their ball back. It's great to see kids playing outdoors and not be cooped up being molly-coddled playing computer games and watching television.
Yea, and how do you give the footballs back when you are galavanting around Spain for 3 or 4 months of the year? :p:D

Yea, and how do you give the footballs back when you are galavanting around Spain for 3 or 4 months of the year? :p:D

1. I'll tell ya one thing Purple, try playing football during siesta (2pm - 5pm) in Spain and the Spaniards will call the Policía Local to sort out the matter.
2. And you're wrong we don't galavant around Spain for 3 or 4 months of the year; we do it for six months of the year.

1. I'll tell ya one thing Purple, try playing football during siesta (2pm - 5pm) in Spain and the Spaniards will call the Policía Local to sort out the matter.
And people think you have it handy...
2. And you're wrong we don't galavant around Spain for 3 or 4 months of the year; we do it for six months of the year.
My apologies, I stand corrected.

So glad someone brought this thread back up. It's been a great laugh. :D

Brought back memories of playing football outside my mates house. We were using the bollards of his neighbours driveway as the goal. Hit a shot clean on the volley. It seemed to go through the air in slow motion as it moved towards the main sitting room window. The glass smashing to the ground seemed to go even slower. Frightened the bejesus out of them. Always thought my dad paid for the repair but he told me years later he never did, they had their house insurance pay for it.

They don't intend in hitting the ball over wall/ against car (they would have missed their intended target then). Depending on the decency of the kids kicking ball, a word with them is usually enough for them to move.

One good way of getting the kids to stop playing football outside your house is to keep the ball and then, later, when noone is around, go out and put it through someone else's window. Pick the house of the nutcase on the road and then tell them who owns the ball. Tell them that you saw it happen and told the kids to own up but they said that the house owner was a coward and was all talk and would do nothing and their dad said he was a wimp. Then get your popcorn and watch the show unfold!

Back