Idiot drivers in the snow and ice

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing that I find extremely annoying is seeing so many elderly men trying to get through the snow in their highly polished black leather shoes :eek: - my father included. Refuses to wear anything else despite how dangerous it is.
Sue Ellen, It's the nature of the beast, we have to accept the fact that elderly men know whats best! My Dad was the same RIP. (he didn't die of a fall either).

If we all thought like you senior citizens would never put their noses outside the door. We just need to offer a little support now and then - just like we are all going to need if we are lucky to reach their age.

I think that everyone is prepared to help an elderly person. These were exceptional circumstances. The worst weather on record. I chose not to drive and walked to the supermarket but only after sussing out the situation first.
Nobody has said that senior citizens should not stick their noses out the door. You are the one saying this.
I found it difficult walking so this woman should not have been out in my opinion.
Where were family, friends and neighbours? At home, where she should have been.

What a nasty mean minded post. Come back to us on this when you're 70 and it's been snowing for a month. Or better still, keep an eye out for elderly people who might need a hand across the road or over a high bit of snow so that they don't end up 'distressed.'

When was it snowing for a month?

There was nothing nasty or mean minded about that post. That irresponsible woman could have caused a lot of problems for people if she had fallen in the snow and injured herself or worse. The advice given by the powers that be, advised people not to go out unless they absolutely had to.

When was it snowing for a month?

There was nothing nasty or mean minded about that post. That irresponsible woman could have caused a lot of problems for people if she had fallen in the snow and injured herself or worse. The advice given by the powers that be, advised people not to go out unless they absolutely had to.

We had snow from end Nov to Stephen's Day with very little respite. That is a month of snow. I think it is mean minded to suggest that the woman could not walk to the local hairdresser for Christmas after being cooped up inside for a month. Yes, she was taking a bit of a risk but so were the people driving to work, driving to the supermarket etc. Why don't we just put a ban on anyone over 70 sticking their nose outside the front door during any kind of adverse weather conditions.

We had snow from end Nov to Stephen's Day with very little respite. That is a month of snow. I think it is mean minded to suggest that the woman could not walk to the local hairdresser for Christmas after being cooped up inside for a month. Yes, she was taking a bit of a risk but so were the people driving to work, driving to the supermarket etc. Why don't we just put a ban on anyone over 70 sticking their nose outside the front door during any kind of adverse weather conditions.

Agree with this. Sometimes for an older person, once they lose their independence and spirit they go downhill. I see my own father 69, thinking he is looking after the "old" people on his road by doing their errands at the local shop. He has never driven so will walk to the shops. No amount of "you will go slipping and sliding on the path" will deter him. It is keeping him young and long may it continue,

This might seem a kind of odd thing to say, even if he did end up slipping, but would rather him bow out now as he is, than wasting away cooped up inside fearful of everything and anything peering out behind his curtains.

I am also shocked at the older lady post because it inferred that she had to ask more than one person for help to cross the road.

Agree with this. Sometimes for an older person, once they lose their independence and spirit they go downhill.

+1.
Spoke to a delightful older gentleman in the gym who told me he had dusted off his golf shoes, not used in 8 years, and used them with spikes to get about in the snow/ice. Said if he didnt get to the gym regularly to move around in the pool he stiffens up something terrible. Not a trip he HAD to make, but one that makes him feel better and gives him an easier life. Who knows what the psychological effect of the hair do is on an older lady? The difference between feeling drab, dreary and embarrassed by ones appearance and feeling good about ones self and happy to be seen - something that would do anyone some good.

Where were family, friends and neighbours? At home, where she should have been.

Other people have made assumptions here so I am going to as well. Perhaps there were no friends and family about because she didn't tell anyone that she was going to go out. The reason being she would have been told not to go out. Family and friends would have been looking after her well being by giving her this advice.
Or she did tell her family that she was going out to have her hair done and they told her not to go out and she was going out regardless.

Older people can be very stubborn. I have had to sit for hours in St.Vincent's Hospital on two occassions then seek out a convalescent home, make visits to a doctor and do follow up after care because a family member puts himself at risk constantly. No amount of talking to this person will change his mind once he has made it up.

Unfortunately when all hell breaks loose he cries out the loudest and then when he recovers off he goes again, regardless of the problems he is causing.

No. This lady should have waited to get her hair done when it was safer to do so or called on family members to help out.

You are taking a gamble that the public will help out.

These are the recommendations from Age Action Ireland. Ophelia ans Liaconn, are you saying that you know more about the elderly than these people?

[broken link removed]

Avoid risks in wet/icy conditions is the advice given.

These are the recommendations from Age Action Ireland. Ophelia ans Liaconn, are you saying that you know more about the elderly than these people?

[broken link removed]

Avoid risks in wet/icy conditions is the advice given.

Where does it say the aged shouldnt be out?

Just before the 'avoid risks....' it says:

Remain active – don’t stay sitting for long periods. Spread your chores throughout the day to ensure to keep moving. Exercise daily, but avoid risks in wet/icy conditions

I don't think it means no one should go outside their front door. Just that they should be sensible. The woman was going to her local hairdresser and needed a bit of help getting across the road, which seemed to be a long time coming, but that wasn't her fault.

+1.
Who knows what the psychological effect of the hair do is on an older lady? The difference between feeling drab, dreary and embarrassed by ones appearance and feeling good about ones self and happy to be seen - something that would do anyone some good.

Well if she slipped in the snow on possibly the worst day of the decade, weather wise and ended up in hospital surrounded by worried relatives........ who cares......she would have looked good if nothing else.

For pity's sake, live and let live. It's likely that the lady has been around a lot longer than the rest of us - if she was clued in enough to make a hair appointment, dress appropriately for the weather and have the initiative to get out rather than sit inside in fear of the snow then she deserves a little support crossing the road - and with no aspersions paid on whether it was a good idea or not.
I hope I have that mind of gumption when I am older - if genes have anything to do with it I probably will - last Xmas my eighty three year old mother carried a ladder into the house and up the stairs, got into the attic and fixed a broken tile on the roof. I suppose Age action Ireland wouldn't agree with that - but you know what, it's the kind of thing she loves, even with Osteoporosis and five crumbled vertebrae. Long may she continue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back