Idiot drivers in the snow and ice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mpsox

Driving in on the M9 this morning, in the middle of a convoy of cars, I was astonished to be passed out by vans, cars and jeeps at various stages, given that the right hand lane had at least an inch of compacted snow and ice on it. I can kinda understand a 4 wheel drive trying it, but a Hyundai, a Corsa and a Polo?? Only consolation I had was that one of the vans was in the ditch in Kill further up the road.

I managed to identify a couple of the companies who the van drivers worked for and have rang one and mailed another this morning to complain, it probably wont do any good but made me feel better. Hence, if you are passed out by an idiot over the next few days, and can identify the company who it belonged to, let them have a piece of your mind. It mightn't do any good, but if a company got enough complaints, they might take some action.

Heard a text on the radio this morning from a driver who said he had winter tyres on his car, which is why he was driving on the 'snow lane'.

Good idea.. a van drove up my road the other day so fast that he skidded around the corner..they seem to forget there are kids out playing in the snow,and with the noise reduction that the snow brings ,the kids dont get that much of a warning! And I mean they were on the footpaths playing but the cars/vans cant stop and go onto the paths.
SLOW DOWN PEOPLE!!

update on my complaint this morning, I got the following mail

Thank you for your email, I would like to sincerely apologise for the actions of the driver.

I can assure you that this matter will be investigated thoroughly, health and safety is of the utmost importance to us.

I have informed the Managing Director and passed your email onto our Safety Officer to investigate fully.

If we can identify the individual involved we will issue a formal reprimand as per our code of work practices. To aid us with this, can I ask if you have any
further details that could be of assistance; the approximate time and location on the M9 or make of vehicle etc?

Reasonable and prompt reply I suppose Mpsox.

My biggest gripe is the pedestrians rather then the drivers TBH.

Walking around in a dazed festive stupor, totally ignoring the slow moving traffic that could skid into them at any moment, wandering out on the road because the footpaths are too icy...etc

Excellent, hopefully the whole staff of drivers will also get a warning to drive more carefully!
I also did something similar,it was the bin men a couple of years ago,the driver was on his mobile phone and the guy on the back was also on his mobile while reversing the truck at speed !! No snow at that time though..

Reasonable and prompt reply I suppose Mpsox.

My biggest gripe is the pedestrians rather then the drivers TBH.

Walking around in a dazed festive stupor,

We've actually just been talking about that and laughing would you believe. They must be suffering from brain freeze or something.

Some idiot has just tried to bypass traffic by booting it along in the hard shoulder at the Straffan/Kill turn off. Driving one of those Rexton things. I tried to get his number, but he was too quick.

I've managed to borrow a 4x4 for this weather, but am still not taking any chances. It's not invincible.

Saw a woman in her late 70's standing more than ankle deep in slush outside the AIB in Stillorgan asking people to help her cross the road. She was in obvious distress. Someone asked was she going in to the bank. "No", she says "I am going to the hairdressers".
The woman should not have been out at all.

Not excusing reckless driving behaviour but I can understand some of the annoyance of being stuck behind someone who obviously isn't confident enough to be out driving and is only willing to drive at 10kph on a well treated road.

Horrified at the thought that an elderly person had to ask more than one person for help...

Here in Germany the Polizei will issue you a big fine if they catch you driving on summer tyres in the snow. You will see no one doing less than 80/90 kph in the snow here.

Saw a woman in her late 70's standing more than ankle deep in slush outside the AIB in Stillorgan asking people to help her cross the road. She was in obvious distress. Someone asked was she going in to the bank. "No", she says "I am going to the hairdressers".
The woman should not have been out at all.
Why shouldn't she 'be out'? she has a right to go to her hairdresser for a pre-Christmas hairdo. People should be more aware of those less able around them. She shouldn't have to reach a distressed state in order for someone to offer to help her cross the road.

May son bragged he had four whell drive, I said I have four wheel braking. Stopping is more important

Why shouldn't she 'be out'? she has a right to go to her hairdresser for a pre-Christmas hairdo. .

But she wasn't capable of looking after herself. What if she had fallen on a side road somewhere or in her garden behind a hedge. Oh sorry! Her pre-Christmas hairdo was more important.

Have we finally reached the low level of complaining of the unimportance of a lady's hairdo. I know at least one lady who braved the elements in her high heels, Fiat Punto, face protected by expensive make-up and lipstick to visit her hairdresser. I pointed out the dangers underfoot and was informed that unless it had been proven beyond any doubt that such risks would cause immediate terminal cancer she was prepared to take them.

Who am I to argue with such logic? Happy New Year Everybody

But she wasn't capable of looking after herself. What if she had fallen on a side road somewhere or in her garden behind a hedge. Oh sorry! Her pre-Christmas hairdo was more important.

If we all thought like you senior citizens would never put their noses outside the door. We just need to offer a little support now and then - just like we are all going to need if we are lucky to reach their age.

What a nasty mean minded post. Come back to us on this when you're 70 and it's been snowing for a month. Or better still, keep an eye out for elderly people who might need a hand across the road or over a high bit of snow so that they don't end up 'distressed.'

I was crossing a very icy road the other day. There was an elderly lady beside me who was struggling across with the use of a walking stick.

She responded "no" very rudely.

So you cant really win!!

( I don't look like I mugger, well at least i hope not)

One thing that I find extremely annoying is seeing so many elderly men trying to get through the snow in their highly polished black leather shoes :eek: - my father included. Refuses to wear anything else despite how dangerous it is.

I was crossing a very icy road the other day. There was an elderly lady beside me who was struggling across with the use of a walking stick.

She responded "no" very rudely.

So you cant really win!!

What, did you ask her out on a date?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back