Ideas for St. Patricks Day

Damo

Hi

I'm looking for a few novel ideas for two adults and 2 children (9+15) for St. Patricks Day. We have done the parades, circus, carnaval etc. I'd love to come up with something different but not too expensive.
For example day trip to Madrid €88.60 with Ryanair!
Other ideas please....

Well here's my two cents worth.

When I was a young lad, St Patrick's day would start off with a brisk stroll out to the country side. My father would brings us down to the defunct railway line by the river Suir, where his father used to bring him to find some shamrock which we always did.

We would go home and then later on head into the parade. After the parade we would go to the pub where my father would have no more then two large bottles, off the cooler of course, and we would have a coke and a bag of crisps. off home for dinner together and then out on the street to play with the other kids.

We are a Roman Catholic family but we never went to Mass on St Patrick's day as my parents decided that since it was in Irish we didn't have to.

How about keeping it nice and simple. A stroll out along the local beach, maybe a picnic later?

UptheDeise, i agree with you. only difference was we used to get a great big icecream cone with a flake in it. god, icecream tastes great in Ireland compared to the stuff we get here in the UK. We too would go to the pub, parents had a bowl of soup and a couple of hot whiskies and we would stuff ourselves with club orange and bags of tayto and kp peanuts. i definitely need to move back sooner rather than later regardless of whether the "celtic tiger" has left town or not !

Maybe a trip to Croagh Park for the all Ireland club championship finals...

Maybe a trip to Croagh Park for the all Ireland club championship finals...

Second that idea - there is a Dublin club Kilmacud Croakes in the football final so there should be a good athmosphere

Club Champs - I'd love to do that, but only I have the interest.
Other ideas are good but quite traditional eg. pub, walks etc.
Anyone with something more novel?

Thanks.

Stay away from the crowds and enjoy the beauty of this green land from a high spot - try climbing the Sugarloaf or similar (weather permitting).

Back