Ideas for Sleeping Tablets/Methods

Status
Not open for further replies.

MBoyle

Can anyone recommend a good sleeping tablet that you can buy over the counter? From time to time I can't sleep, which is very annoying when you have to get up early! I am normally totally relaxed, with nothing major on my mind, but for some reason my mind just won't switch off. It is occasional, but can manifest when it starts! I need something to stop my mind working! Any ideas please?!

Kalms Nighttime, Take 3/4 an hour before you go to bed (it says on the bottle). I swear by them.

I have the same problem from time to time & find that some of the other herbal remedies can have a "hangover" effect the next morning which defeats the purpose of taking them!!

Can be bought over the counter in most chemists.

You can get Nytol tablets (the blue box) over the counter in the UK from places like Boots and Tesco (they aren't sold in Ireland). They work a treat - maybe you can buy them over the internet or get someone in the UK to pick some up for you.

Cheers Guys,
I don't think the honey will do the job, and I'm also doubtful about the Kalms as I have tried the ordinary Kalms, and whilst they totally relax me they don't SWITCH THE MIND OFF, which is what I need, but is realy difficult to achieve!
I will try get the Nytol tablets Rois, and in the meantime I might try the antihistamine! Can you get a strong one over the counter brodiebabe? How strong and can you recommend one?

i feel a frying pan to the side of the head is the only solution, orderwise go to your doctor.

Sleeping tablets can be addictive so doctors don't like to be on them for long. I was on them two years ago and they improved my sleep but left a nasty taste in my month for half of the next day.

I find a bath does it for me now, i nice long bath slows down my mind beofre i go to bed. I hate taking any sort of tablets and the bath really works for me.

had the same problem recently. Avoided taking anything (it can be addictive), what i did was, exercised every evening, had a bath afterwards, then read in bed, try not to watch telly in your bedroom, it stimulates the brain too much! if you still cant sleep avoid the tossing and turning, pick up the book again and read for another while

Sorry for being herbal, but if the problem is a mind full of thoughts, you could try writing them all down, quick as you can, so you can review them in the morning. Once those thoughts are slightly more organised you might be able to put them aside for the night. A walk is also a good way to give your mind a chance to get sorted.

Can anyone recommend a good sleeping tablet that you can buy over the counter? From time to time I can't sleep, which is very annoying when you have to get up early! I am normally totally relaxed, with nothing major on my mind, but for some reason my mind just won't switch off. It is occasional, but can manifest when it starts! I need something to stop my mind working! Any ideas please?!
Seriously...try sex and/or masturbation...God's natural cure !!

Rescue Remedy works for me to switch the mind off.
Also - little white tabs from health food stores called Argentnit ... find them very good.

Rescue Remedy is basically homeopathic and contains no active ingredients so any relief is almost certainly due to the placebo effect. You may as well be doing what Squonk suggest as taking that stuff.

Rescue Remedy is basically homeopathic and contains no active ingredients so any relief is almost certainly due to the placebo effect. You may as well be doing what Squonk suggest as taking that stuff.
Bach flower remedies, including Rescue Remedy, are basically brandy, so if you take enough it will put you to sleep!

I usually fall asleep listening to the radio, talkshows are great for this. If I really can't sleep though I'll just take an antihistimine like piriton or a cold remedy like uniflu.

Try going to the local niteclub and asking the sleaziest looking person for some Rohypnol.

can I say as somebody with a professional interest here that I would recommend NOT taking any medication at all? All sleeping tablets are addictive and shouldn't be taken except when absolutely necessary and for no longer than 7 nights. For most people occasional insomnia does no harm and doesn't effect their abilities the next day so using it to read or whatever is fine. Also, the less you worry about not sleeping the more likely you are to fall asleep. Exercise helps but not last thing. Baths etc great. Be careful with alcohol as it can creep up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back