Ideas for lifting heavy boxes into attic?

Maybe not an attic collapse but I have certainly seen cases of junk shoved into the attic (and not on the ceiling plasterboard itself) causing the ceilings to crack. All I am saying is proceed with caution. If the items being stored are (almost?) too heavy to lift up in the first place then be careful of where and how and for how long you store them in the attic.

agreed. Floor attic to prevent such things or better still hire a skip for a day and throw all the crap away or boot sale. As someone said once it's up there it will probably never be used again.

Years ago we had a burst pipe in the attic at winter - water slowly pouring out onto beams/plasterboard etc - eventually ceiling cracked and a section of it caved in so I would tend to err on the side of caution particularly if the boxes are there for long time storage. Put them at the edges of the attic - don't pile them all up around the middle of the floor.

When you think about it, most attics are storing the cold water tanks on a base built on the joists. These are often in the central attic area and would be far too heavy to lift when full.

Most of the stuff people store in attics would be way below the weight of these water tanks. But ensure stuff is never rested on the plasterboard ceiling by laying wood across the joists.

Usually theres extra joists, or supports under the tank itself. Anything else you put in the attic is in addition to the tanks weight.

Lidl & Aldi occasionally sell hand trucks which can be used for stairs & this would solve your problem. They are basically 6 wheel hand trucks and are very useful. Many hardware stores also stock them

Back